Streets & Transit

Comments

• I was driving through Frandor towards East Lansing today and noticed they are putting up new signals. When I came back it didn't look like any have gone up westward towards Lansing. I assume these are the arrow signals as outlined in the LSJ article last week. There looked to be some for Clippert and Homer streets around there too.

• This is interesting, as I thought the turn lights were going on Homer and Hosmer as in Homer at Saginaw to control right turns, and Homer and Grand River to do the same.

• edited May 2019

More from the sewer work going on at West Mt. Hope and Stirling Ave:

I'm always interested by this stuff. Public service says this is a catch basin lead pictured, and it looking south (along Stirling) from the northwest corner of the intersection. Faith Tabernacle Church can be seen to the left. Apparently, they own that empty lot across the street and it combined with the home you see.

• As a kid, I went to some events like pancake suppers in this building. I think it was called the Macedonian Hall[could be wrong!] like the Polish Hall up the street, is one of the older buildings on W. Mt Hope. I am looking forward to driving on this newly paved street for my China Garden and QD runs.

• Just a note from REOtown, they seem to be beefing up parking enforcement on S. Washington Ave. I am not sure if there is a time limit for the 1000 block up, I know there is not one for the 900 blocks, there has been a parking enforcement person down there ticketing for parking on the sidewalk[in front of potential Pablos:} and blocking drives all this week. I never even noticed one over here before. I hope they do not consider installing parking meters.

• edited May 2019

Gb,

That information about it being a former Macedonian Hall is really interesting. This whole stretch of street is unassuming on its face, but you've got all kinds of nationalities that were or are still on the street. At the Rundle intersection remains an old Greek Catholic church. For about eight years at the Beal intersection across the street you had a Korean church up until 2015 when a black congregation bought the site. The old Polish Hall is still going very strong at the MLK intersection; in fact, they were holding some kind of event outside last Saturday which made me laugh because all of the construction dust was blowing everywhere. lol The Apostolic Tower of Power used to meet nextdoor to the Polish Hall at Fletcher, though it looks like they don't hold regular service there, anymore. I'm not sure. Then you have Faith Tabernacle which you said used to be a Macedonian Hall.

It is or was like the United Nations on five consecutive blocks. lol A neighborhood much more interesting than it may look in any case.

As for parking in REO Town, I'm glad they are beefing up enforcement for the stuff you mentioned. As far as I know, non-metered spaces are two-hour parking unless otherwise specified. I am sure there are signs down there with instructions, as there kind of has to be. The city has been upgrading its parking system, recently:

https://lansingmi.gov/1696/Extreme-Makeover

I've found the new "meters" downtown a bit confusing, but people will eventually get used to them.

• Thank you for the interesting information, I believe most of the neighborhood in that area was developed in the 1910s and '20s, my Dad grew up on Delevan Street and went to Barnes Ave, which was built in 1919. There is a really nice house at 1814 Delevan that my Grand Father and his brothers built.

I like modern Lansing with so many new folks from all over the world. I was walking in Scott Woods and came across some people from Laos picking wild mustard greens and fiddleheads in the woods. They were so nice to show what they had been picking. I had never seen anyone gathering food in those woods. I think most people from Lansing would not even leave the paved trail so it was cool to see the folks out there in the woods gathering wild greens.

• edited June 2019

I do know the area pretty well, though the side north of Barnes better than to the south. I like that after some decline in the late 90's and early 00's that it looks like the neighborhood has kind of rebounded. I think St. Casmir kind of holding on kind of held things together in the western end of the neighborhood; South Baptist on Washington eventually ran out to the suburbs. But even the eastern end isn't that bad apart from the commercial corridor.

Anyway, back on streets, I always like see this when I drive down Penn:

I've always wondered if the Hyacinth House right off the road, here, plays in part of this, either donating flowers or selling them to the city.

• Barnes Avenue School was a big part of the neighborhood along with the St. Casimir School all the kids stayed in the neighborhood for school. I'm not sure if any of the students at the El Shabaaze School are from the neighborhood. I never see any students walking home from school.
    I wonder why Barnes Avenue is being rebuilt with such nice features, like the brick trim [it does not look like they are for a drain as before] and a big traffic circle? It is only for a few blocks where the street is a boulevard but it sure looks nice. Are there any other streets getting this kind of treatment? Meanwhile, the last block of W. Barnes at S. Washington is still full of huge potholes and is a mess. This seems kind of crazy to me.

• I was excited to see all the traffic cones on this part of Pennsylvania Ave, in hopes of seeing a really bad section being repaved.[I know I should look at the repaving plan] It was the flower project which is very good, think how nice it would look or how you could actually turn your head away from dodging potholes if the street was repaved.