Block600 (600 East Michigan)

Comments

• Just like the BWL wall where no one lingers, I think it is a bit optimistic to imagine a lot of people hanging out in this alley-way [?]. Maybe it is the backdoor for the apartment building leading to the parking lot? Someone should ask!
  • I think that's the alley between Block 600 and Liskeys but the gated wall would prevent any vehicle traffic from using it.

• February 19
    ERKWWg8XsAA0y48.jpg
    https://twitter.com/GillespieGrp/status/1230211015356354560

Apparently, the apartments will open in September.
  • Nice big windows for the apartments. What is the treatment they are installing on the bottom of the hotel windows? Perhaps some sort of screen or lattice that would allow the windows to be open for fresh air. It looks a bit odd covering up almost half the window.
  • They are in the renderings but only some of the windows have them. I think they are Juliet balconies.
  • Does anyone know more about the choice of the zip system (green manufactured exterior sheeting) for the hotel and the stick and vapor barrier for the apartments? Is the zip that much more in material that is is cheaper to do stick and then wrap the apartments? I would assume there is some code requirements but the change is construction methods on the same project makes me wonder how it pencils out.
  • Maybe a hotel guest standing on their Juliet balcony will spot a Romeo across the street having dinner at the Mission! "A Capital City Romance!" Someone could write a play about it!
  • @LANResident If I were to take a guess it would be that the zip system is probably mandated by the Courtyard by Marriott designs for their hotels. And then the stick and vapor barrier is cheaper and Gillespie will use that where possible. Or like you said it could be code related for hotel vs apartments. But if the costs come out to a savings of $5k or more I don't know why they wouldn't make the change when they can.
  • This project continues to roll along. The apartments are going to have a lot of windows, they look good. I knew that there were going to be some dark colors for the exterior but I was a bit surprised to see some of the south-facing walls look like they are being painted black. You don't see four-story black walls often! I also noticed they are building a cornice like structure on the top of the hotel part of the building. It is nice to see that it is not one of those raised flat roof structures, maybe those are finally going out of style. I went by here before the Governor made the stay at home order so perhaps they have stopped working temporarily. I am going to keep visualizing that all our projects will be built and I will be going to Meijers on Larch very soon! Take care! everyone.
  • Yes, all commercial construction work has stopped, though other construction continues.