Sparrow Projects

Comments

• The circle drive and landscaping look very nice. It is kind of a "fancy" building for Lansing, I like that they decided to build something that is nicer than it has to be. Even the parking ramp looks good! I wonder if people will walk up the the signal to cross the street after getting off the bus? Maybe they should have some sort of barrier like plantings or something to direct pedestrians to the cross walks.

• I suppose this would qualify as a "Sparrow Project", but their St Lawrence campus ER is closing. By no means am I an expert on such things, but I'm not surprised at this news. Seemed inevitable. I wonder what the future 10, 20, 30 years is for this location. Most of the news and developments out of Sparrow comes from their main/Michigan Ave campus.

• edited February 2018

I've been wondering how it's held on for so long quite honestly. Sparrow has essentially been killing off the campus as a hospital since they bought it, so people knew this was coming. It's really a bad thing. My family used to use it when Sparrow's main campus was too crowded, though I guess with their expansion of the main campus this may be less of an issue, now. It's crazy that the westside won't have an emergency room. There are tens-of-thousands of people living off Saginaw all the way out to the middle of Delta Township. It seems like a hospital could do well somewhere further out from Lansing along Saginaw.

• Mich I agree. The westside would be lacking. Especially with McLaren's reported move/consolidation of their two southside campuses to the SE corner of Lansing. The article wasn't completely clear, but it seems that the Sparrow main campus ER will expand slightly to accommodate this. I mention it because -- from the McLaren discussions/news -- there are regs in bed counts and counties over 200,000 population have specific rules about where hospitals can move. So hypothetically, if a new hospital were ever built on the westside, would it be more likely west of Waverly (across county lines)?

• edited February 2018

Probably, though, I could definitely see any development on Waverly Golf Course including a hospital, too. Or, maybe even something on one of the old GM sites. It doesn't have to be that far west, but certainly should be west of the existing St. Lawrence campus, of course.

• Reviving an old thread here but I think it's better to keep things together in the long run...

Sparrow announced today that they will build a 100,000 sqft (3 stories) building at the northwest corner of Michigan and Pennsylvania for outpatient surgeries. This corner is currently occupied by a Sparrow medical supply retail building. See https://www.lansingstatejournal.com/story/news/local/2020/10/12/sparrow-planning-100-000-square-foot-outpatient-center-downtown/5966185002/ for more information.

I wonder if the medical supply will stay in the new building and on part of the ground floor?
  • pde36qggfoee.jpg
    Looks like they will be facing this building away from the corner.

• edited October 2020
    Ooo, nice. Though, I think it could be even nicer if they'd simply connect it via skywalk to the parking garage across the street to reduce the level of surface parking included.
  • Definitely not a fan of surface parking lots, but with that said by relocating this building to be on the corner and placing all parking on the west side, there will be much better future opportunities to build on the surface parking lot with this new plan than with the old layout.
  • In the article on the LSJ they say that this will be connected to Sparrow Hospital by a skybridge: "The center will be attached to the main hospital, he added, likely by a skybridge."