Sparrow Projects

Comments

• edited February 2016
    Plaza Building's garage from January 20th:

hhcc-1-20-16-b.jpg?w=700&h=&crop=1

hhcc-1-20-16.jpg?w=700&h=&crop=1

The actual cancer center will or may have already started. The Sparrow Health Center out on Grand River at US-127 is also coming along nicely.
  • I've been checking in on the webcam from time to time and work on the cancer center continued as the parking ramp was being completed, construction has just been slow. I can't imagine it'll be that much longer before the building goes above ground.
  • Drove by the project earlier today and noticed vertical steel beams in place in the cancer center portion of the land. Looks like it's time for it to start going vertical.
  • The steel frame seems to be up and they are starting to apply the glass on the lower floors. I think this will be a beautiful building, it just too bad that the parking ramp hides it from Michigan Ave. The new cafeteria also seem to be near finished, and looks great.
    Now they just have to get some sort of pedestrian crossing plan for the mid-block there. I saw about ten people get off the bus cross and stand in the left turn lane waiting to cross the rest of the way. Although I have never heard that anyone was ever hurt there, it seems potentially dangerous, and people in the middle of the street also slows traffic.
  • edited November 2016
    The LSJ did an update on Sparrow's expansions. The cancer center next door to the professional building is coming along nicely. It will include a heart and vascular center along with Sparrow's consolidated cancer services.

And, the Sparrow Center at Grand River and US-127 will be partially opening on November 17. Lots of new news is added including that the Sparrow Center will include radiology services and a drive-thru pharmacy. The only kind of bad news is that they do say this is pulling services from St. Lawrence. Sparrow tries to assure in the article, though, that St. Lawrence won't be closing, but that part of it will be demolished in the coming years but the rest of it will be renovated. Hopefully, they never take down the whole historic part of it.

Finally, Sparrow's new cafe, which they pulled out of the basement and put in the lobby, has already seen a 40% increase in dining revenue.

636132471300199577-sparrow1.JPG
  • I like how it is modern and sleek looking. No phony added stuff.The drive is looking nice as well, Like I have said before I hope they will put a traffic signal for pedestrians and maybe sidewalk features that would direct people to that crossing. I know if they build the BRT it will alleviate that problem people will have to cross at the crosswalk Also a better configuration some how for the vehical entrance and parking ramp on the other side of Michigan Ave. Could the vehical entrance be opened on Penn. Ave so it would be an easy right going north on Penn. and be away from all the pedestrian activity on Michigan. The current set up is confusing.
  • I have heard that Sparrow's new cafeteria is run by Aramark, the same company that handles food for prisons and has had numerous news stories related to cleanliness and interactions between their staff and the prisoners. Can anyone confirm that this switch took place? Googling "aramark sparrow" doesn't show any news releases or related information.
  • Wouldn't surprise me, but Aramark is all over the place, it is by no means just a prison food company, it is huge. 270,000 employees per Wikipedia.
  • edited November 2016
    Yeah, they are best known (now infamously so) for their prison work in Michigan, but they do food service A LOT of different institutions and venues. Up until last year, I believe, they had a mult-year contract with the Lansing School District before the LSD moved on to Magic Johnson's company. Given my personal politics I wouldn't give them any business out of principle, but they, yeah, they do more than prisons.
  • If I were running such a huge company I would consider changing the name at least here in Michigan. While I am not sure they were trying to get people from outside the hospital to dine there, upon hearing that name that would make sure no one from outside would eat there. They grossed people out on the local news for weeks with that story.