Sparrow Projects

Comments

• Aramark won the Sparrow contract a few years back. They handle everything from bed linens to diagnostic imaging equipment maintenance. It allows the hospital to contract out a lot of the in-house services under one national contract.
  • The street back out in front of the new cancer center and garage is open again. When you access the professional building they've also begun directing you through the new driveway. It's really interesting how much different (in a good way) this complex feels with this addition.

• Had to visit Sparrow yesterday, got a photo of the complex. Everything is nearly done. Will be happy to see the Sparrow space in the new garage fronting the street up and running.

20170424_180841

• Looks really good. It has been difficult to look at the new building while driving by. It looks like a first class building.

• edited June 2017

They've installed a very interseting sculpture in the traffic circle and planted some nice, big trees. It looks really nice. More than that, it looks like they are beginning to stripe the street near the intersection, and it looks like we might FINALLY have some crosswalks mid-block, which has always been an issue, here.

EDIT: Yep, I saw a pedestrian signal put out at one of the crosswalks (hospital-side of the street). I wonder if they are going to have a full traffic signal, here? I wouldn't mind that one bit. Either way, this is huge for anyone who walks in this area and hates the superblock Sparrow creates on this part of Michigan.

• I kinda hope they install a signal, I've thought from the time I first saw this proposal that there should be a traffic light there. With the hospital, professional building and now the cancer center dumping a good chunk of their traffic out of one driveway I think it's justified.

• Yes there needs to be a light there and the bus stop should be moved to be right next to the crosswalk. There are always people who think it is a good idea just to cross five lanes of traffic standing in the middle of the street there.

• I don't fault people for wanting to cross there. The alternative is to walk about two blocks to the corner, cross, then walk the two blocks back. Almost a half-mile of walking for no apparent gain besides safety, which isn't perfect either considering that the intersection allows turn-right-on-red.

• I think a signal and bus stop right at the corner of the new drive with a crosswalk there may be a good option. Maybe it could be coordinated with the Penn. Ave lights so as to not stop traffic twice in one block. I hate to think someone visiting the hospital ends up being checked in to the hospital because they were jay walking.

• edited June 2017

Looks like they have a support poles up to hold traffic signals. So excited to have a light here.