Sparrow Projects

Comments

• edited October 2020
    I was wondering if they were going to do that. I understand their reasoning but it would be better for all pedestrians if we put the money and time towards improving the street level crossing instead.
  • That rendering would make for a nice building but it clearly shows a five floor building, if what they build actually ends up being three floors and 100k sq ft it will be quite a bit different from what's shown.
  • edited October 2020
    Lol I'm surprised I didn't notice the number of floors in the drawing. Being that it is for surgery maybe each floor has extra tall ceilings.
  • It looks like a very preliminary drawing, I like that the building will have a nice facade facing Michigan on the south and the also on the west side, not crazy about the surface lot but it is depicted as having nice landscaping. I would think the east side on Penn. will be similar perhaps with the north side being the service entrance/dock area.
  • So, I'll move the discussion about the Eastern High School site over here since it's a Sparrow property. Heard from a little birdie that the school building is going to be preserved...
  • That is good news!
  • This may have been already happening and I just noticed, but I saw several dumpsters full of debris behind Old Eastern High School yesterday, which might mean the renovation of that building is starting.
  • edited October 2020
    Probably prep work, I'm sure, as the rezoning hasn't even made it to council, yet. The staff report on the renozing did mention that they didn't have anything immediately planned for the site.
  • Thanks for the info...
  • Looks like the surgery center is moving forward. The super-convenient childcare center on the block announced it will close in july. Sparrow owns the building and originally announced they'd be relocating the business, but now say they won't be.

https://www.wilx.com/2021/03/23/sparrow-set-to-close-daycare-hospital-workers-sent-kids-plans-to-build-surgery-center/
    LANSING, Mich. (WILX) - A childcare center located in a building owned by Sparrow Hospital and used by employees will permanently close in July.

The Childtime Learning Center in Lansing on Jerome Street announced the closure late last week in a letter sent to families with enrolled children.

“Due to a future expansion project at Sparrow Hospital, this location will be closing so that the hospital can re-purpose the property,” said Childtime’s District Manager Kathleen Conroy in the letter.

Sparrow owns the building Childtime operates out of, hospital spokesperson John Foren said. According to Foren, Childtime is paid a management fee to run the center and Sparrow maintains the building.
    Sparrow CEO James Dover announced plans to build a three-story, 100,000-square-foot outpatient surgery center and medical office facility at the property last October. At the time of the announcement, Dover said the childcare center would be relocated.

“At this time, Sparrow will not move forward with a child care facility at another site,” Conroy wrote in the letter to families, dated March 19.