Sparrow Projects

Comments

• I'm still not a fan of the setback but at least it looks better than their west wing addition. As for the height, part of me thinks that they will build it to allow for a vertical expansion, it would make perfect sense in this case and I'm not sure they'd go out of their way to announce that aspect of the project if it were part of the plans. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they install a traffic light here, I never get by there during the day, but I imagine it can be difficult to get in and out of there.
  • I'm not sure about that. When they did their expansion at the hospital, they made sure to make known that it could be expanded vertically. So, I'd think if this building was capable of that type of expansion they'd have announced it with all of the other details they've given of the plan.

Yeah, traffic around here can get crazy because of the superblock. Making left hand turns in or out of Sparrow's property onto Michigan can be quite a task. I guess the good things are that these parking garages on the southside of the street funnel the traffic onto the side streets to reduce volumes on this already busy stretch of Michigan. I think, however, that the inclusion of another skybridge is an admission that there isn't going to be a traffic light here unless the city makes them. I read the recent city council packet which included this, and none of the city departments had any objection to the siteplan as it concerned the traffic impact of the project. Basically, it seems the only thing the city really demanded was retail on the garage ground floor and a setback of the actual plaza bulding/cancer center from Eureka.
  • Sparrow announced the new cafeteria I mentioned a before. The design is more or less the same as in the rendering I found: Sparrow unveils plans for new cafeteria

sparrow1.png
  • This was in the paper, yesterday, but it appears Lansing Township has approved the $20 million medical arts building to be built at the northwest corner of Grand River and US-127.

B9316287192Z.1_20150217161020_000_G7DA00VEB.1-0.jpg

The 70,000-square-foot building is scheduled for a 2017 completition. The article doesn't mention when they'll be demolishing the existing Lansing Medical Dental Building.

B9316287192Z.1_20150217161020_000_G7DA00VG5.1-0.jpg

I'm going to miss old modernist building. My mom's dentist used to be located here.
  • I was just by the Sparrow Professional Building, and site prep is well under way. They've cut down all of the trees around hwere Bingham Elementary once stood and are excavating/grading the site. For whatever reason, they've yet to bring down the Sparrow Foundation Building which fronts Michigan, but it appears to have been prepped for demolition.
  • edited July 2015
    Dental Medical Building on Grand River at US 127 has begun demolition within the past few days. Also, since my last posting, the Sparrow Foundation Building has been brought down across from the hospital, and they've excavated down a floor for the new cafeteria space at the hospital.

From the LSJ (July 7):

B9318009197Z.1_20150708162536_000_GRBB9URT7.1-0.jpg

Groundbreaking ceremony July 29th, with scheduled open of the new building in early 2017.
  • I saw what looked to be pre-constructed panels for the renovation going on at Sparrow Hospital (cafeteria) in the lot of Demmer's plant on Larch in north Lansing. Kind of surprised to see the panels, there, but I'm pretty sure that's the project they are for, at least one of the Sparrow projects, anyway.
  • I'm betting those panels are for the parking garage, as of last night they already have two of the pre-cast vertical columns up. The ramp's going to be a little taller and closer to the road than I anticipated, both positives in my book.
  • I bet that's what it's for, too. Speaking of the garage, I believe I saw them carrying some support beams up Larch just south of Michigan, this morning. We gave the truck extra room. lol
  • A quick update on the various Sparrow construction:

-The new medical arts building on Saginaw was topped out last week.

-The structure is complete and they've finally begun on the facade for the new cafeteria

-The new parking structure is about half complete, I'd think it's safe to say the new cancer center should be going above ground at any time.