General Lansing Development

Comments

• This seems like a rather strange and unattractive place for new housing. There are so many other spots in South Lansing that would be more suitable that are standing vacant.
  • It's not a great area but a small apartment building is very appropriate for that site, the neighborhood directly to the north is all apartments and duplexes. I'm not sure whether I'd prefer commercial space there but I certainly wouldn't argue that it's absolutely necessary for that site, I'm content seeing residential there.
  • Living across the street from a Meijer and within walking distance of multiple restaurants and services will never not be a great residential location, to me.
  • Got my first good look in the daytime at the park-facing facade of the Realtors HQ on Durant Park. The glass on this side is a very nice touch; the workers will get excellent views over the park from the upper floor. Speaking of Durant Park, there is an ugly piece of art near the center.
  • I am sure there will be people who don't mind looking at the back end of Meijers . The area is dangerous for pedestrians, the tangle of streets is a mess down there, and overall it is kind of an ugly part of town. Just my opinion no offence to those folks in South Lansing. It is a good sign that a less than ideal spot is being developed for housing.
    I noticed the sculpture in Durant Park, it is not very good [IMO]and really looks out of place. I hope it is not a permeant installation, and we are stuck with bad art for the next 30 years like that bad orange sculpture in the "alley" in E.L., to me it always looked like it was left over from some other project.
  • While Miller is a bit busy and looking a Meijer may not be the best view the neighborhood is nice to get around and it has lots of nearby shops and looks like a good infill project.
  • The Planning Board meeting is also up for tomorrow, and the minutes from the January meeting are included.
    ...and setting the public hearing for the rezoning of the two duplexes on the northside of Jolly just east of Waverly for higher-density housing (from 4 to 8 units)

On this one, we find out that the owner plans to keep the two duplex units, and build an additional 5-unit (2-bedroom units) apartment building elsewhere on the lots, which would bring the plan to one unit over what's allowed for that zoning district. He'll likely have to get a variance for this or chop off a unit for the plans.

It also appears that an large amount of folks tuned into the January meeting in support of the teen shelter proposed for the reuse of the old St. Casmir's complex. Kind of surprised. I thought there'd be a lot more pushback from the neighborhood. There were a few minor concerns, but there was not outright opposition from any of the speakers who attended. The board unanimously approved it.

On new items for tomorrow, there is just one: An Act 33 Review for a Forest & Collins Roads Pathway and Easments. This review is required anytime an improvement is proposed for public improvements or city property transactions. This pathway will be an extentions of the Bear Lake Pathway.

wuxmh39lg80s.png

• edited February 2021
    My comment regarding the apartment building on Miller was more in regard to the state of the neighborhood to the north of there, specifically the apartments on Orchard and Richwood. When I had friends over that way 10 years ago there were a lot of problems, I know they tore down the worst buildings but it's still not great. As far as access to roads, transit and stores I agree that it's about as good as it gets on the south side.

I don't hate that Lake Trust building as much as I thought I would, I'd obviously like a more significant building on that corner but I can't complain. I really hope that the project at their former headquarters moves forward, I assume that Lake Trust is finally out of there now so maybe there will be some indication of progress.
  • Thanks for the Forest/Collins info. I've been wondering if they had decided on a roundabout or signal at that intersection. Last weekend I went for a slow "trail run" down the trail segment being constructed between the Beekman Center and Cavanaugh where the trail currently ends. The bulldozer had cleared about a third of the top surface in that section. The rest was either cleared of snow or still snow-covered. It's pretty scenic through there. I can't wait for these trails to be completed so I can run/ride them!