The Abbot & The Graduate (Park District)

Comments

• Overall the building looks really good. The mosaic behind the check-in desk of Draymond Green (I think?) is a little bit weird looking though.
  • It's supposed to be Magic, I'm pretty sure. But, yeah, until you get close on it, it seems like a piece of art that's probably going to be misread.
  • It is Ervin Magic Johnson! Draymond is a good guy but he is not quite worthy of a portrait over the front desk.
  • I saw the Magic Johnson mosaic portrait behind the front desk and found that the mosaic was made from different colored basketball shoe laces! It is really cool! as is the whole place. Very different lots of wood. check it out the have a 30% off deal going until August.
  • I guess I'll have to check it out in person, a mosaic of a basketball player made of shoelaces is certainly an interesting idea. I see their rates as of now are just over $100 and that really isn't too bad, I imagine it'll be quite a bit more expensive as MSU comes back to life, let alone on a football weekend.
  • The street paving project on Evergreen and Valley Court Park is nearly finished, it looks like there will be more parking for the farmers market days. They have erected a curtained fence around the brick building behind Dublin Sq. including two big old houses that I was surprised to see are part of the construction zone. I believe this will be the site of the new 55+ apartment building that is part of the Abbot/Graduate project. The city has removed the parking meters from the lot next to Dublin Sq. so perhaps the lot will be closed after the festival tents are gone and the new construction on that lot will begin.
  • Today the construction of the credit union building seems to be beginning, but some of the work may be the sidewalk handicap curb cuts project. At any rate they are pulling up pavement at the corners that seems to have been just recently laid. Take a long look at the nice tree there, it won't be there for much longer.
    On another subject [I just moved over here] right on the corner of Grand River and Abbot there is a really loud crossing signal for the blind, I mean they are blind not deaf, I can hear that thing two blocks away some mornings. It would drive me crazy if I could hear that in my apartment, or dorm room. Does it go on all night? I do understand why they are there but it seems like they could figure out something less obtrusive for everyone else and still assist the blind. Perhaps some sort of sensor that only sounds when someone is standing on the corner.
  • The construction fencing along Evergreen and behind the church was removed today. They did a nice job on the area, some trees along there would be nice too. I guess the street is open, but may close again when the big projects begin again. I believe they are installing new utility poles for the signal/crossing lights at Albert and Abbot which may be one of the reasons they dug up the brand new sidewalks there.
  • edited September 2021
    gb, here is the orientation of Building C.

uk895cycowma.png

Here's the back of the building looking north on Evergreen. This is the side you'll see.

05lfwquh6wib.png

And here is the front of the building off of Valley Court.

p4tvrqc9vh9y.png

• Thank you, this looks pretty good. Seems to fit in with the other new buildings and has some nice green space, looks like the same windows as the Newman, but no patios or balconies.