The Abbot & The Graduate (Park District)

Comments

• I agree that they should do it right, but when are they going to reach that point is the problem. I know that the two projects are different in terms of funding and other points, but it just seems strange that one development has been talked about and planned, for twenty years or more, and one is a plan that started only about two years ago. Let's build both now.

• Looks like the LSJ picked up on the story, and it provides more context about the schedule than eastlansinginfo. Demolition will likely only be delayed a month, and East Lansing is looking at making it to the August 22nd Michigan Strategic Fund board meeting intead of the July 27th meeting. Demolition will either begin late August/early September, now.

So, yeah, they confirm this isn't some death knell for the project. Seems like the brownfield law was amended at the state level very recently (April 5th), and the city just wasn't quick enough in realizing it.

The amendment went into effect on April 5. The city passed the current project, proposed by Convexity Properties, on April 25.

It appears if the council would have delayed their decision on the development agreement until early June, they could have stayed on schedule, so the problem wasn't them dragging their feet, but rather rushing having not realized the state law had changed.

Anyway, this should allay fears.

• Great! It will be great to see it finally happen and it looks like it will. Maybe they reversed the curse!

• Demolition of the buildings has been pushed back at least a month. The Michigan Strategic Fund did not put this project on its agenda for their August 22nd meeting. Their next meeting is September 26.

http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/story/news/local/2017/08/17/east-lansing-park-district-project-demolition-delayed-october/575627001/

• I don't doubt for a minute that this will happen, but boy is this project cursed. This is the second missed deadline. It missed the July meeting because of the city, and then this months meeting because of the Strategic Fund seemingly for no reason, or at least a reason not made public.

I guess it's good to hear the buildings have already been remediated and cleaned out, so when these do get demolished it'll be quick. I guess what frustrates me still is that the project is still contigent on so much public support that a $10 million pot of money could conceivably stop the project. The developers could, if they wanted to and believed completely in the project, simply start demolition at any time. I get they don't want to take the risk of tearing down the building and not getting the money. But that either doesn't speak well of how developers see development in the area, or that they've gotten so used to these incentives that they feel entitled to them even when it's obvious projects like this will be successful. It'd mean a longer ROI if they have to put more of their money into it, but it'd still make them money.

• I agree, this a the most prominent intersection in East Lansing, and what ever is built there will likely be a great success, I think they could get on with it, without these incentives. We need a ghost buster to go to that building and get what ever spirit that is protecting that ugly old building out of there.

• edited September 2017

I'm so tired of Chappelle.

In 2015, Chappelle finally lost the properties to foreclosure, and subsequently DRW purchased them. Chappelle tried to fight the foreclosure, and lost. He is still locked in a lawsuit with DRW over a claim of violation of a confidentiality agreement. And now he has convinced the Michigan Economic Development Corporation (MEDC) that the State can’t provide DRW with tax incentives for the project without his permission—even though a court has decided he has no right to the properties.

Someone needs to look into the MEDC. If Chappelle doesn't own the site. They should have no concern.

Still don't think this is dead given that fact, and certainly not "officially" dead.

• Okay, the LSJ has a story on this today clearing up the news from EastLansingInfo that didn't make sense. Apparently, Chappelle owns the tax credit for the site even though he doesn't own the site.

More than that, it sounds like the current version of the project is dead, but that Convexity plans a total redesign - most likely downsized because they said they couldn't do the current project without the credit:

“That doesn’t mean there won't be a new plan, but we’ll be back to the drawing board for a short period of time," he said.

Convexity still plans to demolish the site in October, Meadows said, adding that the redevelopment of the area has been a priority for the city for more than 15 years.

“There’s no question something is going to happen here," he said.

As for Chappelle's future role? Sounds like he's done with this beyond getting out what he owns of the project:

Chappelle said the developer plans to work with the Michigan Economic Development Corporation as well as the current developer to resolve the issue.

"We have absolutely no desire to be involved with this project other than to obtain a fair price for those components of the project we still control," he said.

I'm actually kind of heartened by this, though it will be sad to lose the current project. Anything that finally gets Chappelle out of this for good is absolutely necessary seeing as how he's sabotaged this site for over a decade, now.

• It seems that DRW/Convexity thought they would just inherit the tax credit for free, but that tax credit was awarded to Chapelle and his proposal. If DRW/Convexity had worked with the MEDC when they acquired the properties to create their own proposal they wouldn't be in this situation.

I believe they can still get their $10 million tax credit, they will just have to file their own paperwork and wait about a year.