General Lansing Development

Comments

• edited December 2022
    For anyone unfamiliar with the location:

1506-1510-N-Grand-River-Ave-Lansing-MI-Primary-Photo-1-LargeHighDefinition.jpg

The county land bank (which owns the site) has been for some years has been marketing the site with help from the state. They'd always marketed it for multi-story use (4-stories), though not quite this tall. It was an old RC Cola bottling plant built in the 1940's, and currently also includes three lots to the north, which would likely be used as an access driveway from North Street. There are like half-a-dozen homes around the intersection (five on North and one on Grand River), though only two are zoned for single-family use, and these two do not abut the parcels targeted for redevelopment.
  • The street and bridge up there have been repaved after years of huge potholes and looks much better than this photo! I think taking over a vacant industrial site along the river and building housing is just what the city needs. There are many vacant sites that are not on the river if they should be needed for industrial development.
  • The bridge project was actually part of a major CSO project, and wouldn't have happened to that degree with out it. So, I'm kind of happy it happened when it happened. lol And old sewer goes under the river, there, and they had to do heavy construction to get to it.
  • New rendering for Stadium North Lofts in the LSJ, tonight:

72cd3ac3-269e-460e-b6a7-088ba01ccd39-Stadium_District_Similar_Concept.JPG?width=660&height=171&fit=crop&format=pjpg&auto=webp

The developer was to close on the sale of the land, today.
  • I was caught off guard with the news that Sparrow Health System is being acquired by University of Michigan Medicine. I'm concerned about further consolidation, but I've also heard so much about Sparrow quality decline over the years, so I'm hoping this is for the best for the region.
    Not that it matters when it comes to health, but Michigan really owning MSU here once all the signage changes.

https://statenews.com/article/2022/12/university-of-michigan-health-moves-to-purchase-sparrow-health-system
  • Symbolically, I'm not happy one bit about it; i's kind of embarrassing. But if it means better care, that will be what matters most. But I'm still so disappointed with how much MSU has turned its back on its own region on a whole host of fronts when they could been building prestige in their hometown.
  • I agree that I really don't like the idea of seeing yellow block "m's" all over Lansing, and that MSU really should be looking to its second host city for expansion. I think MSU could take over Cooley Law School and bring Sparty's law students right downtown.
  • But I'm still so disappointed with how much MSU has turned its back on its own region on a whole host of fronts when they could been building prestige in their hometown.

I couldn't have said it better.
  • I too am disappointed with MSU and how they turn their back on Lansing constantly. Had they invested in Lansing instead of other areas, like Grand Rapids, that would have been huge for Lansing.

That said, I think the UM Health merger/acquisition will be great for the region. Based on how they took over Metro Health near GR and continued to expand, I don't think their goal is to consolidate. They will likely separate it from UM Health, similar to UM Health West, and grow it as that in the region.

UM Health is basically a separate but affiliated entity with UM. MSU doesn't have nearly the robust medical branch like UM. However, it's unfortunate it still couldn't be MSU. I think having a link to the best Healthcare provider in the state, if not region, will be great for Lansing.
  • Was looking through the LEDC's minutes for their Oct meeting, and there were quite a few updates. The renovation of the old club on the south 200 block of Washington (next door to the Dominos/old Hallmark store) is apparently well under renovation. The "Ovation" venue on the south 500 block has apparently started, too; hadn't realized that. The OPRA was approved for the renovation of the old north precinct in the old Motor Wheels site into apartments; they said that construction could start by the end of the year, though I haven't been by to see. The Temple Lofts are basically done.

Lots going on, it seems.