General Lansing Development

Comments

• I googlemapped it and on the street view that was taken in June 2011 the gate is open, I guess it must have closed soon after. I guess train tracks have to be on a flat grade so they don't want to raise the whole bed [I guess} That bridge looks pretty bad, maybe they could build a tunnel under the river and tracks for Pa. Ave.. I know they won't do that, they could also raise Pa.Ave. to a new bridge with a regular street crossing gate where the tracks cross the street.

• I may be wrong, but it looks like the MSUFCU is expanding their downtown Lansing office to fill the vacant store front at Washington and Michigan. If that is true a bank is better than empty, but it seems strange to me that some sort of retail shop could not make a go of it on that corner. It was long ago, but when Paramount News was there it was a very busy place. I'm sure the lease there is very expensive. The same goes for the old Libermen's store front, it is such a cool space but sits there empty.

• Was told by someone connected to Envie that Troppo is closing in the summer.

• edited March 2017

Does the same person manage both? What would be their connection to Troppo? More than that, why would Troppo be closing? I can not imagine for lack of business. I could imagine years ago a full-scale restaurant closing downtown for lack of business, but not with all of the added energy in the last 5-to-10 years.

Anyway, a Go Workout Fitness Center (a company based locally) is going into the space where the Secretary of State moved out of years ago at 108 South Washington. Apparently, they'll be utilizing the whole building from the basement to the roof. It sounds like the second floor doesn't cover the whole footprint of the property, so they'll use the second floor "sundeck" for fitnesses classes as weather permits. I'd be interested in seeing if anyone has any pics of this building (built in 1940) pre-renovation.

It's going to be interesting to see how the YMCA literally a block north responds to this. I think they also use three floors.

• I hope that the restaurant will not be closing. We need a mix of real sit down restaurants and sandwich shops.

• I've never been to Troppo but I'm across the street at Tavern and Tap often. I keep trying to check Troppo out, but the people I'm with are chased off by bad word of mouth somehow.

• I went to Troppo last year for Valentines Day and we were surprised at how empty it was on what is one of the busiest restaurant days of the year. The food was really good though, afterwards we wanted to take others there with us but we thought they wouldn't be willing to pay these prices for "Lansing". It's a shame because compared to Ann Arbor the prices are actually very reasonable.

• That settles it then, I'm going to have to force it to happen despite the protests.

• I went their one time for a work lunch, but I didn't have to pay. :smiley:

• I didn't watch it last night, but the LSJ recapped Virg's last state of the city, last night. Development wise he apparently mentioned "hundreds if not thousands" of jobs being brought by a company called NorthPoint to the old GM sites. There seems to be a lot of companies by that name so I don't know what this company is. The only other piece of big news was that someone has expressed "interest" in redeveloping Eckert when it goes offline, but these properties are always an interest to someone.