General Lansing Development

Comments

• After studying another option, Ingham County has found if it rebuilds just the county jail and associated offices at its site in Mason - instead of a whole new criminal justice complex in Lansing - it'd cost $55.4 million instead of the $62.5 million estimated for the other project back in May of last year.

To build only a new jail at the site - with minor repairs to the other offices in the complex - would be $32.5 million. Renovation to the existing complex would be $49.9 million. What's clear is that they are totally done with partnering with Lansing to bring the complex, here.

• That's too bad. I doubt those numbers take into effect the cost savings related to the central location for courts, citizens, and transit.
  • On an amusing note, I noticed that the Capital City Grille in the Radisson downtown transformed itself into "Grillers" - a hamburger and fry joint with much cheaper food. Presumably this is just for the duration of Shuto-Con - and it was very busy actually! I was in the hotel today. Way to know your customers, Radisson.

• I was downtown Saturday and there were lots of costumed people in every business that was open. It is a great example of if you have a thyme and a little promotion people will show up. I was thinking it's too bad there were not more places for these kids to spend their money. Downtown should have been decorated with flags and banners with comic-con images all week. That way maybe some who did not know that this event was happening might attend. Michigan thyme's, outdoor sports, auto-sports, car shows, local authors and play writes,ethnic festivals, collectors shows, antique shows, children's events. They streets are empty at night and on weekends, they are a perfect place to fill with street events every weekend or each month. I know that they do this for the 4th and silver bells, why not more events, that would change the perception that there is nothing going on downtown.

• A kind of convoluted tale about the closing of Gibson's Bookstore in downtown Lansing. It's located in the North Capitol Avenue Parking Garage. Apart from what's described in the excerpt below, they've also been hit with tax liens, this months. Looks like they lost their sweet deal with LCC which was basically keeping the store open.

LCC’s partnership with MBS Textbook Exchange, an online, out-of-state textbook vendor, is behind the decision to close, Poquette said.

LCC used to front up money for textbooks to students awaiting federal loans, either giving them a prepaid debit card or depositing the money into their bank accounts directly. In late 2015, it replaced those payments with vouchers of up to $600 that could be used only at MBS.

Poquette and fellow co-owner Matt Buche sued the school in late 2015 over the voucher program, saying it would cost the business $700,000 annually. The suit was dropped in March 2016 because they lacked the money to continue, Buche said at the time.

However, one of the owner's children is looking to keep the cafe open in the corner of the store.

• Your annual Lansing Census estimate news.

• According to the 2016 Census estimates, growth in tri-county area has accelerated to make Lansing one of the fastest growing metropolitan areas in the state. With the addition of 3,305 people (+0.7%) between the 2015-2016 period, it grew almost as quickly on a percentage of metro Grand Rapids (+0.8%). The top growth occured in metro Ann Arbor which saw an increase of 1.1%. Anyway, this is a total increase since the last Census of 11,063 or +2.4%. Extrapolating this year's rate, we'd end the decade over 482,000, which would be the fastest growth since the 70's in the region. Seeing as how growth seems to be accelerating, however, we could be in for an even larger number at the next Census.

• As far as individual counties go, in what continues to be a reversal from previous decades, Ingham County is actually the fastest growing county in the metropolitan area by far, and one of the fastest growing urban counties in the state, now. Ingham County added 2,316 people (+0.8%), which again was only smaller than Washtenaw (+1.1%) and Kent (+1.0%). Since the Census, this is a growth of 7,156 people or +2.5%. This would also be the fastest growth for Ingham County since the 70's. In fact, in something I can't remember happening during my lifetime, Ingham County actually grew faster than sprawlburb Livingston County (+0.7% since 2015) to the east.

This will most likely mean a significant increase for Lansing and East Lansing when the sub-county estimates come out. For someone whose been following these estimates and Censuses since the last 90's, all of this is pretty amazing. While the overall growth in the metropolitan population might not be vastly higher than previous decades, where that growth is happening is the huge change. While Clinton is still the fastest growing county in the region (+3.3% since 2010) that growth is WAY down from the previous decade in which Clinton County was the fastest growing county in the entire state. Eaton County's growth since 2010 (+1.3%) is actually significantly less than it was (and down from 90's when it was really booming) and for the first time in quite a few years less than Ingham County.

So, it appears that Metro Lansing didn't just weather the Great Recession, but ended up coming out stronger with growth in the inner county not seen since the 70's. Some tentative proof that the "back to the city" movement has finally reached Lansing, and at least as of this last 2015-2016 period has nearly caught up with the growth in Ann Arbor and Grand Rapids which has been happening for a longer time than it has, here.

• That's some absolutely great news about the population growth, hopefully it's a trend that accelerates. I'm really interested to see what the 2020 census has in store, it'll be interesting to see some concrete and detailed figures.

• Thanks for the information. I am thinking that if they really do build out the empty GM sites we will for sure be seeing a lot more people in Lansing. I think we should really be working all of our infrastructure and facilities, to entice new people to live here. Improvements to the quality of life can be as important as a new factory.

• I was downtown on my trip to the Peanut Shop and I noticed there is some kind of work going on in the ground floor of the Knapp's building. I have not heard of anything going in there, I wonder if anyone had heard. There were just signs for the construction company in the widows, but nothing saying what was being constructed. Around the corner the building and street look a bit deserted. No cloths displayed at The Runway and the sandwich shop looks like they just locked the door and left. Plant some trees cover over the empty spaces, finish rehabbing the buildings on the corner.

A a good development downtown is the re-opening of the library. It looks and feels really good. Lots of light coming in from the windows, new furniture, carpets and rest rooms have relieved the 1964 feeling, while actually enhancing the Mid-Century design with the open spaces and site lines. I am going to write the Lansing Garden Club to ask if they would consider taking over care of the gardens around the library now they now longer have the sunken garden to take care of. The gardens are much more visible from inside now.

BTW The corner of M-X and S Washington looks just about as bad as I was thinking it would, the fencing with that nice black plastic has all blown over. It was really hot and with glaring sun walking by. The river had globs of foam floating down stream wow what a mess.

• edited March 2017

Everstream is opening it's regional office in the Knapp's building. Waste of street level space IMHO. Eyde's are holding out for a high-end restaurant for the corner section. "Sarnie's" the sandwich "Shoppe" was ill-planned and lasted 5 months. The Runway is still viable, more focus on pop-up shops depending on the designer's cycles. The building on the corner was an extension of Knapp's "Knapp's Capitol Avenue" I believe it is still owned by WMU Cooley, though I could be wrong. I agree with you that MX and Wash looks horrible, I pass by there daily on my way to work.