General Lansing Development

Comments

• Welcome to the board @citykid. Thanks for sharing your insights!
  • @citykid To repeat Jared, Welcome. Thanks for the info. I like the things Hepler has done, I just wish he did more.

IMO the delay in the proposals for the Prudden parking lots may not be so bad anyhow, I was always hoping to see it split into a couple blocks and built out as more of a neighborhood as opposed to a few apartment buildings around a parking lot.
  • The old houses have been leveled. The blocks north on Pennsylvania Avenue could use some help too.
  • There is an interesting artical about the "Lansing Shuffle" in the City Pulse this week. I think I will check it out myself this weekend. It looks like this may be the thing that gets folks down to the riverside year-round and perhaps the best use for the pole barn that one could hope for, [minus tearing it down]!
  • My mom called them to inquire about the restaurants, today, so she's looking to drop by. She was taken a bit aback by the prices of the meals she's looking to try, but I guess that's everywhere at the moment. But for her to remark on them tells me this isn't as price-inclusive a place as you'd hope. Wish more middle-to-upper-scale restaurants in town would do what Tanin does with half-portions
  • edited February 2023
    Moved to new thread
  • I stopped by the Shuffle after an LSO concert last Sunday. It was a fun atmosphere and what we ordered was delicious. That said, most places have some pretty steep prices for Lansing. Hope that doesn't affect its chance of surviving. It's nice to have so many new restaurants in one place, I just hope it's enough to keep people coming back. I definitely want to try each one despite the prices.
  • I am thinking that because these places are "store front restaurants" making finer food to order the prices are higher than "fast food" chains. Plus, it looks like most of the businesses are not part of a large chain that would mean they pay high prices for their smaller orders from wholesale venders. Unlike a sit-down restaurant where tipping ads a lot to the total, perhaps people will like the counter service style where one would generally tip less as no one is waiting on you. I am going to check it out myself!
  • edited February 2023
    Went yesterday and tried the Thai restaurant. Very good, and different than Thai Village or the Bangkok House, which are blocks from each other, so this is a nice additional option. It's already pretty popular, which makes parking a problem if you're not familiar with the area. The free parking, of course, is the tiny lot on the south, which will always bee full, now. There's a pay lot right across the street, but I think it will need better signage for newbies. Also, it's cashless, which doesn't seem like a bright idea. Not everyone has - or wants to pay with - a card. They mention on the signs that there are stations somewhere to pay with cash, but I didn't see anything.

BTW, dumb idea for the city to have allowed MP Social in the Marketplace Apartments, next door, to lease out the row of parking in the small north lot of Lansing Shuffle. They have more than enough parking in their front lot to accomodate non-resident MP Social customers, too. I live within walking distance, so this isn't going to really affect me, but it's one of those things that could scare off newbie and fickle suburban customers.
  • The city needs to do a better job of letting people know that parking is free after 5 or 6pm and on weekends. It would be a good idea to offer free parking all the time. I was shopping downtown several times during the holidays and the free parking was such a pleasure, although the rates are not so high when in effect, that is the bad rap about going downtown "I gotta pay to park!", ever since the 50's!