Lansing Performing Arts Center

2»

Comments

• I have no idea why the city has been so conservative with investments in the city

City leadership is elected by residents of Lansing. To be honest, a lot of people here have a terrible outlook regarding almost anything new. And you hear it from young progressives just as much as the old curmudgeons. If you want to be reelected, you're probably better off spending $60 million paving a few roads than on a state of the art performing arts center that could revitalize a hurting downtown.

I kind of get it. I was a bright-eyed and bushy-tailed transplant a decade ago, but I'm already getting burnt out on the glacial pace of change around here. I can't imagine my attitude in 20 years.
  • @lansplant Yeah, I just don't even know what to say about it anymore. It's been painful to see just enough positive things happening to give real hope for Lansing's future yet never turning the corner so to speak. I will say, with all the new industrial developments (continued GM investments, new battery plant, massive dairy plant, Amazon and Meijer warehouses, etc...), a serious change in EL development patterns with all the high rises, significant and continued investment at MSU, the Stadium District starting to fill out, the new mixed use projects along the Michigan Ave corridor along with the few developments in downtown proper; I have to think that better things, and that elusive "critical mass", must be on the horizon. Things like this performing arts center in its proposed form and the impending city hall fiasco detract from my otherwise brightening hope for the future of this city.
  • I would say that there are a lot of features we have here in Lansing that will guarantee continued progress. I do wish for a more thoughtful approach to public and private projects. Andy just does not seem to have a great imagination about these things. The same money can be spent on better planned[beautiful!] projects that would have more positive impact on the surrounding neighborhoods. I think of the playground installed in our most formal urban park; it is a nice [expensive] playground however I have noticed kids playing on it about twice. Even small things like that are so disappointing in my mind. But a lot of projects are happening in places I never thought I would see, and maybe will see some better plans ahead. I know that if I had spent my whole life in Lansing, I may feel differently but having lived elsewhere for over 35 years and moving back to my hometown I find that it is a pretty unique and even beautiful place, we have a lot going for us!
  • edited March 2023
    City council agenda has a map up of the parts of the parcels the city is looking to purchase:

221rs1lkbv5x.png

Site layout:

ldhjmtpoykdh.png

I'd suspect that there will eventually be a reworking of the subdivision, here, to line everything up.
  • It's getting pretty close to the time they were expecting to start work on this and we still haven't seen a final design. I'm really, really hoping they came up with something different that is at least halfway decent. I also hope they're planning on repaving and streetscaping Washington sooner rather than later, it desperately needed it 10+ years ago and it's only becoming more of a problem.
  • The agenda mentions comments from public service about this. The sewer under Washington isn't scheduled for reconstruction until 2029 & Lenawee until 2034. They don't mention street reconstruction aside from saying that when it is reconstructed, it's likely it'll be given a road diet by changing out the angled parking for regular parallel parking. They mention Washington was last repaved in 2009 and Lenawee in 2019. I kind of doubt - unless they move it up - that we'll see a street reconstruction before the sewer separation, but, hey, they've done it before.
  • Paving in 2009? Where? Maybe they did a quick and dirty coat of pavement over the badly dilapidated part of Washington south of Lenawee but it's not in great shape now and more importantly the look of the street is surely hurting development prospects. That's not to mention the nearly undrivable brick section that most certainly hasn't had any work in the past 20+ years. I also don't understand why they'd do parallel parking on Washington, as wide as it is it fits 2 lanes with perpendicular parking and wide sidewalks just fine.

I really and truly don't get the decision making going at the city. Washington and Michigan are the two most important streets to the city's future and they are among the most neglected main streets in the area. It's like they're ignoring them on purpose.
  • I don't know where the '09 pavement is? I would like to see the street leveled to a small curb or even no curb, the brick work seems to be very old perhaps from the early last century. I could be wrong about that, but I think it should all be removed. Modern brick paving on a flat road surface would look nice, be easier to traverse, and parallel parking would also be easier. I have dreamed about a linear park of green space sidewalk wide from Michigan Ave down to REOtown.