General East Lansing Development

Comments

• The existing buildings in the flood plain area near Frandor were built at a different time, with different rules (either on the part of government - from the locals to the state DEQ - and insurance companies, which don't want to insure places that are sure eventually to flood).
  • Right, and the drainage for the older buildings is simply taking all the excess water and pushing it to the Red Cedar Golf Course and the Red Cedar River. That is why there needs to be reconstruction to stop relocation of rain water, and newer buildings have to incorporate a different strategy for handling the accumulation of rain water.
  • This is pretty cool and I REALLY hope that this project becomes a realization.

At Tuesday's council meeting:
    Consideration of a resolution to provide a 20% local match to construct a non-motorized pathway along Saginaw between Coolidge Road and Hagadorn Road.
    Saginaw is one of the least accessible roads in East Lansing. With sidewalks only on the south side of the street between Harrison and Abbott, sidewalks only on the north side between Coolidge and Harrison, and no sidewalks between Abbott and Hagadorn. This will also make it easier to connect the East Lansing trails system with Lansing's RiverWalk trails.
  • edited September 2007
    I agree, Saginaw really needs some non-motorized facilities... Pathways alongside highways have a very high collision rate though, usually with turning vehicles, so they'll have to be careful when/if they design it.

Bikers would already be able to connect between the proposed route and Lansing River Trail by proceeding down the River Corridor (the east-west trail on campus) until they got to Kalamazoo Street, then head north to Abbott Road, and then just use the bike lanes up Abbott to get to Saginaw. Since the River Corridor section between Brody and Kalamazoo is scheduled to be redone with separate bike/ped paths in the very near future, a biker could get between the two trails with only the two small bike-lane "gaps" on Abbott to deal with... and even those are (in the long-term) going to be filled.
  • edited October 2007
    On East Lansing's city council agenda for Tuesday is:
    Introduce and set for public hearing on November 7, 2007 Special Use Permit
    and Site Plan: An application from Meijer, Inc. to construct a 3,628 square
    foot convenience store and gas station on the northeast corner of Lake
    Lansing and Marfitt Roads. The entire site of the Meijer Store is 28.13 acres
    in size located at 1350 West Lake Lansing Road. The new construction
    would consist of a one story structure with a "green roof" opened 24 hours a
    day, utilizing a portion of the existing 1,006 parking spaces. The property is
    zoned in the B-5 Community Retail Sales Business District
    I know Meijer has been trying to do this for a long time and I don't expect this to pass this time either.
  • This is crazy. I know they've done their homework, but there are two or three Meijer's on the northeast side of the metro already. Geeze.
  • This is at a preexisting Meijer, the proposal is to build a gas station on part of the parking lot of the Meijer on Lake Lansing Rd.
  • Thanks for that correction. That had me confused (the mention of Marfitt Road, which I'm not familiar with). But, is this really worth posting, that they are building a gas station in a big-box parking lot? lol
  • It's not the biggest development, but the significance is that this is probably the fifth time they have tried to get this passed and it will be interesting to see if the city gets what it wants this time around.