General Lansing Development

Comments

• I was downtown yesterday and saw a huge crane removing a very large piece of machinery from the roof of the building at the southwest side of Washington and Michigan. [I don't know the name] I was wondering if this may be the beginning of the redevelopment of that building into apartments.
    Over on S Cedar the Stadium North building has been painted some nice blues and tans, with the brick work on the street side it looks pretty nice, and a bit different from the other new apartment buildings around town.
  • I guess I would recommend reaching out to the Vision Lansing PR people. Planning and Zoning staff get so many one-off or periodic questions then nothing happens so I have learned to stop chasing updates. They were in a few days ago to verify some zoning questions but I didn't overhear any timeline updates. As for the Act 33 process, I don't think most other communities do it this way, besides for street vacations, but it has been policy here for decades as a way to conform with Article IV - 125.3861 - Sec. 1. Some easement reviews are a little unnecessary in my opinion but it all is in the interest of transparency. Air rights is just a simple way of covering use of the ROW.
  • edited October 2023
    After I'd asked on here, I actually did hear something through the grapevine that the project is still very much working behind the scenes, though I didn't get any details. So that was good to hear. I was just surprised how it completely disappeared, publicly, after the big announcement since it's such a major project.

Thanks for the MCL section. I was just curious because I've always heard about air rights, but don't know exactly what governs them locally (couldn't find anything in the code of ordinances dealing with them) or under the state law (Act 33), like how far above the street before you're not considered to be encroaching 'into' the ROW. I can't recall skybridges and such being subject to Act 33...but I'd never paid close enough attention to have ever followed that process. lol
  • edited October 2023
    There was an update on the Ovation Center in the CoW meeting minutes. MSUFCU is apparently still fundraising to "enhance" the project; they won't be asking the city for anymore money. The city is currently doing soil testing & other prelim site work. In any case, it's not the city holding this up, rather they want to make sure they have all the money lined up for everything planned. They mentioned the current version doesn't have a mezzanine level, and the extra money would be to fund things like that.

Another interesting thing we find out is that the city didn't do its due dillegence in selling off Lot#50 on Pere Marquette, last year, and the city did not own the lot. The city council has a resolution to void the resolution selling the lot, which is actually owned by the Lansing Building Authority. Embarrassing! lol
  • I can do some more digging about the enabling language and threshold for review. In the past the city would do Act 33 reviews for something as simple as a balcony or outdoor restaurant seating. Those kind of transitioned to simple right of way permits. But Sparrow's skywalks over Michigan Ave. and the previously proposed over Pennsylvania Ave. would have had a full review.

If you are interested here is some background on local building authorities. No comment on the mix-up but glad it wasn't my fault.
  • Yeah, I'm looking back to a post I made in June 2019 when they were building Block 600 and made an easement request for building foundation footings which would literally only extend 2 feet under the sidewalk. The agenda for that meeting brings up that the Planning Commission did an Act 33 Review on that the previous July. It's just funny to me, because I imagine a lot of smaller cities probably don't even adhere to Act 33 for larger projects, but maybe I'm wrong. lol

Anyway, nothing too serious in next week's council agenda, though I am laughing that they have nearly TWENTY FIVE traffic control orders on the consent agenda they are passing next week dealing with things like the addition or removal of traffic lights, stop signs, adding additional parking meters for street parking, etc.

Looks like they are also setting the public hearing for unloading Parking Lot #1 (425 S. Grand) for November 13.

As for Parking Lot #50 on Pere Marquette, I'm still a bit confused what the process is for selling the lot if it's owned by the Lansing Building Authority. Property records show that they sold it to the GG back in October of last year. So perhaps this is just the council rescinding their resolution of the sale.
  • Lansing is getting another $6 million in grant money that will go to various projects including RoeCo and the Parks Furniture renovation now called "The Iris" (I'm very happy to see that one moving forward):

https://www.wilx.com/2023/11/02/lansing-receives-over-6-million-revitalization-placemaking-grants/
    https://www.lansingstatejournal.com/story/news/local/2023/11/02/lansing-giving-out-6m-in-state-grants-frandor-sears-solar-charity/71419515007/
  • edited November 2023
    Oops, wrong thread.
  • Well it's official*, and I can't believe local media missed this: GM Grand River is going to convert to EV's at a cost of $1.25 Billion (*tentative to approval of the UAW deal):

https://gmauthority.com/blog/2023/11/gm-to-invest-1-25-billion-at-lansing-grand-river-plant-for-ev-production/

Needless to say, this is good albeit somewhat expected news. I did not expect a price tag like that, details are thin but I'm wondering if this will include physical additions? There's certainly not room for a battery plant but perhaps an electric motor assembly wing? $1.25 billion is a lot of money.
  • Looks like the only thing of interest in next week's council agenda is the approval for the brownfield plan for 505-507 East Shiawassee Street being up. There is also the public hearing for the sale of the parking lot at 425 South Grand, which I imagine gets approved at the following council meeting.

Only two more council meetings after next week's meeting, and then the new council will be sworn in in January. Looking forward to see how the new composition effects development. Undeniably, the new incoming members are like a full generation younger than the members leaving, and seem more open to new ideas.