General Lansing Development

Comments

• No pictures, but I saw them take the antenna tower off the Boji Tower, today, with a helicopter. It was quite loud and a site to see. The last thing that interesting that I saw was when they took the sign down a few years back. It looks so naked without the antenna tower.
  • I'd assume they removed for replacement, not to remove it for good. That antenna space is worth good money.
  • A replacementis supposed to be lifting up next Sunday.
  • edited November 2007
    I knew they were replacing it; I've been wondering whether they are simply refurbishing the antenna tower or getting an entire new structure. I'd read the LSJ before it even took place.
  • Does anyone have any pictures of the tower with out the antenna? I would like to see how it looks... I can't imagine seeing it without the top.
  • edited November 2007
    towereq8.jpg

"The roof of the building is being prepped in order to accommodate a brand new tower which will hold the new antenna for Smooth Jazz 92.9. We are continuing to operate at reduced power, but we expect to be at a full 5,400 watts by the end of November."
    source: http://www.wjzlonline.com/
  • edited November 2007
    Someone got a nice arial photo of downtown: http://flickr.com/photos/15685633@N08/1805925821/

Looking at the SBC Building I notice that the columns all rise above the roof as if it can support more floors. It would be nice to see that expanded, nicer to see SBC build a new building and this one turned into residential and added onto. Looks like same thing for Raddison. Just a thought...
  • edited November 2007
    Thanks, Binto. This will change the height of the tower, I assume, but I wonder if it will be taller or shorter with this new tower? It would be great to see the design, too. The old one fit it so well.

Nice find, Hood. Though, I'd much rather see the brutalist SBC offices totally removed. I can't imagine anything they could do to the property to make up for it's aesthetic shortcomings. Modern telephone buildings (switching stations) are usually always the ugliest buildings in a city, and this one is no exception.
  • I think it would be relatively easy to do whatever design you want, just cut out the concrete between the columns and put a new curtain-wall facade on it. It has tall floors and its an extremely strong structure.
  • Well, I've seen the new antenna on the Boji Tower, and I don't think it fits the tower like the old one did. It's bottom doesn't flare out like the other one to match the shape of the roof.