General Lansing Development

Comments

• edited October 2007
    Light on details, could be interesting to follow tomorrow...

Developer to announce Lansing project

Evening update

Jeremy W. Steele
    Lansing State Journal

Lansing Mayor Virg Bernero is expected to join developer Gene Townsend at noon Tuesday to announce "a major new downtown development."

The event is to be held in a city-owned parking lot along Kalamazoo Street, between Cedar and Larch streets, according to an announcement from the mayor's office.

Townsend was a partner in developing Printer's Row condominiums at Grand Avenue and St. Joseph Street, in the Cherry Hill neighborhood. All 17 of those units have been sold.

The new project, details of which were not outlined in the announcement, would be the third significant downtown development announced this month.

On Oct. 8, Accident Fund Insurance Co. of America unveiled plan to move its headquarters into the riverfront Ottawa Power Station, redeveloping a 7-acre riverfront site.

A week later, developer Pat Gillespie announces plans to develop Market Place and Ball Park North at the site of the Lansing City Market and property north of Oldsmobile Park.

A proposal to build a riverfront condominium high-rise on South Grand Avenue also is moving forward. Developers are negotiating with the city to buy an adjacent city-owned parking structure.

http://www.lsj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071022/NEWS03/710220383
  • So, a question for anybody that may have inside knowledge. Are any of these developments that have been announced the "association" building?
  • I might try to go to the event since it's between my classes. If I go I will try and bring a camera. Anybody else planning on going, or might be able to get renderings?
  • I don't think any of these are the "Association Project," the one thing we did know about that project is that it's an office building for state assocations, hence it's name.

As for this new project, I'm assuming it will be for the site their making the announcement at. Probably something 2-4 floors, maybe rowhouses in part or full, or maybe something more like Stadium District. I'll be waiting to see.
  • edited October 2007
    Here is a picture of the site to put it into perspective:

a2b1961e-7280-4523-ac09-d922ab6aa8fb_17008b14-afd0-4c98-a3dd-45175c0882ee_static_0_0_image.png

I measured the width of the parking lot with Google Maps and the Kalamazoo lot is ~200 ft, while the Stadium District lot is ~400 ft.
  • edited October 2007
    Here we go; $12M project is latest for city's center

Four story building with residential and ground floor commercial.

"It's the first thing people are going to see when they're coming north on Larch," said Townsend, who developed the 17-unit Printer's Row condominium project at Grand Avenue and St. Joseph Street.

"You want something that's very proud. It's like the gate to the city."
  • Nice, it appears to be on the larger end of what I expected to see for this site. Also will be LEED certified. What I would really like would be for it to not be postmodern, I'd really like to see some modern or ultra-modern architecture.
  • edited October 2007
    kalamazoo+gateway+project.jpg

Wow! The shoes keep dropping. I remember when Lansing was lucky if it saw just one big project a year, and that was even just hoping for that one. This finally is critical mass it seems.

Townsend has done excellent, quality work with Printers Row, and I'm happy he's taking his next development up a notch. What I really like about this one is him going 'green' again, but even more, putting some sorely needed quality rental units into this mix. Considering there are so many rental units, though, there won't be a budget for any ultra-modern exterior.

There was a time I was worried if Lansing would see anything good, and if we'd be able to compete with any other cities of comparable size and build. And it seems we're getting announcements on a near weekly basis. Keep up the great work development community and those involved in municipal government.

Jared, looks like it's time to add yet another new discussion, here: Kalamazoo Gateway.
  • edited October 2007
    It appears the council, from neighborhood pressure, voted down the 100+ unit condo development at Hunter's Ridge in southwest Lansing due to a bogus and ambiguous claim that "it's not the right time". What the hell is that supposed to mean? What a cop out. If they didn't agree with the development, the least they could do is be honest with the developer and tell him why. This is akin to the lame "it's not you, it's me" response.

http://www.wlns.com/Global/story.asp?S=7251579