General Lansing Development

Comments

• I don't know, I haven't heard when the fountain will be built, but it would make sense to wait until spring. But with this fountain being in a very high-profile location they may very well heat it and/or use anti freeze to keep it running in the winter.
  • This is really big news. I hope that the Lansing City Market will simply become either a tenant on one of the new buildings or move to a different location within downtown.
  • This sounds very interesting. I'd like to see this happen. I would think that the city's garage would be moved to a less-commercial place now.
  • Story in todays LSJ: Plan touts new City Market

IT sounds like we should be seeing some renderings and/or siteplans as part of todays announcement. I'm liking the sound of two 6 floor towers behind olds park and a new city market on the riverfront. I can't wait to see more details.
  • edited October 2007
    This development deserves its own post. Me and Hood knew something was going on in this area, are Gillespie had plastered his signs all over his new properties in this area a few months back.

It's also funny to hear about the Lansing City Market revitalization considering a few months back I had sent to either Bob T., Kevin Green, and/or Pat Gillespie (director of the Principal Shopping District), an idea about putting residential space atop the market to spur it back to life.

What I do hope for is that they replace the entire 16,000 sq. ft. of the market, if not add to it, instead of taking it away.

A few more thoughts...

- This is really, really trivial, but I would hope that developers would start being more creative about what they name their projects. It seems like every city and their momma has a "Stadium District", "Ballpark North", and "Marketplace", these days. Let's get a bit more creative with the names, guys. lol Names are important for developments, and should have context to the city that they are created in. Personalize them and make them "Lansing". Ballpark North, for instance, could be Oldsmobile Park North, Market Place, Lansing City/Municipal Market Place, etc...Let's connect these projects to the places they are in more than just their phyiscal building.

- I LOVE the idea about putting the City Market right on the riverfront with possible decks for boat rentals. How cool will this be?!

- This project sounds quite ambitious, and I hope it pans out because nearly 300,000 square feet of mixed use space in a city this size (and even larger cities), in this type of economy especially, is HUGE. I know it will be phased, but it's still quite an ambitious plan considering the Stadium District space is selling and renting as fast as everyone thought it would including the retail, condos, and apartments.

Things are coming together really nicely, and perhaps I'll have to begin to check some of my pessmism if any part of this plan pans out to fruition. The Larch/Cedar Corridor is where I grew up, and I've always dreamed about its importance in a revitalized downtown area. It's one of the gateway district into the CBD and it should definitely reflect that. It looks like the next (and last) part of the downtown riverfront that needs to be redeveloped, now, is the Museum Drive museum district, which lies in a floodplain complicating things...

Again, this needs it's own page considering the size.
  • I signed up to get the Lansing city council agenda packets and it I found this:
    An EDC meetings minutes where the Bojis spoke about Chase Bank moving to 5/3's spot and moving the Majority Resturaunt into the old Chase Bank Building on Washington. I think it would make for a really neat resturaunt location.
  • edited October 2007
    Here is a picture of the roundabout after completion. Now we only need to have the fountain installed.

bilde?Site=A3&Date=20071018&Category=NEWS01&ArtNo=711180301&Ref=AR&Profile=1221&MaxW=500&MaxH=500&title=1

And a link to it's respective article: Michigan Ave Roundabout
  • I was reading in the LSJ, and apparently the fountain is dependent on donations. Not all of which have come in. I guess they're still waiting on the rest of the funds before the fountain can be completed. Somehow I missed that when they first proposed this.
  • edited October 2007
    Here is a new article about the projects being developed along the riverfront. Nothing too new in the article though.

Grand Plan: With $300M in projects on drawing board, the river is no longer a dumping ground
  • Hood, yeah, moving the Majority to the 5/3 bank building at the corner of Washington and Allegan will give it a much better spot to be seen; a lot more visibility.

Mindbender, originally, the mayor had made it sound like he'd use city dollars for the fountain. But, after an incredibly outcry from the 'regulars' that come down to city council he has proposed collecting private funds to develop and maintain the fountain. This seems to be a practice for him. When the council says no (i.e. the video cameras controversy), he finds his friends in the business community (of which he has many) to go around the municipality. He's probably one of the best connected mayors to the private sector Lansing has had in decades. IMO, that brings both huge pluses (the fountain), and minuses (the surveillance camera fiasco).