General East Lansing Development

Comments

• If you know where Coleman Road is it's just to the north and it's directly east of 127. If you are driving North on 127 you can see MSUFCU really well on the right side of the road.
  • MSUFCU built such a nice building, in such a horrible location. They could of built downtown Lansing or East Lansing, it would of made for a pretty good sized building.
  • Those we my thoughts exactly. It's a great building; big and pretty unique. Too bad most people will just see it from the highway. I mean seriously, this thing is out in practically the middle of nowhere.
  • Yep, I don't know anyone who would disagree. It seems like some execs got a good deal and ran with it, not thinking anything about longevity, or even proximity to MSU. It's funny that a bank can name themselves after MSU, then move as far away from the main campus as possible but still claim to be located in East Lansing.
  • Moe's Firehouse Grill, located at the old Spartan Gyro (the old Taco Bell), is coming along looking really nice. They've painted the bricks brown and there is a nice sign atop the building. They look like they may be able to last longer than Spartan Gyro.
  • I read about something that they were trying to make the area where MSUFCU is building into a kind of financial district. So far they have MSUFCU, Mercantile Bank, Financial Health Credit Union, and a couple other places I can't think of right now.
  • edited July 2008
    Yeah, let's take the region's resources and scatter them across the landscape like a child who's just spilled his toys all over the floor. The region already has existing centers that are underutilized.
  • When I think financial center I don't think of office parks next to freeways where the buildings are all surrounded by surface parking lots.
  • I don't either, it always seems that banks and insurance companies have the largest, most prominent downtown buildings. Just think if all, or most of the banks and insurance companies around here were downtown. Downtown would have so many more big buildings, but unfortunately they all are expanding their suburban locations.
  • I completely agree hood. I also think big buildings have a bigger impact downtown then they do in the middle of fields and parking lots because when you are downtown you walk or drive feet away from the building and it seems huge. In the middle of no where it looks small when you are seeing it from such a great distance.

I wish they would have built a new headquarters next to their current one on MSU's campus since they are MSUFCU, but if they were intent on moving off campus it would have been nice if they built in downtown EL, maybe on the city owned surface lot on Albert across from Harpers. This exact design wouldn't work for that space of course. They'd have to go taller to accommodate ramp parking, making it have an even bigger presence.