General Lansing Development

Comments

• It was a relatively small repairable fire, it's accross from the Temple club. The good thing about these older "rowbuildings" is that they can be rebuild after fires with relative ease, the outer brick structure is what supports them.
  • edited November 2006
    Jared,

There is not much happening in this block of Old Town, and it will probably be one of the last blocks to see any significant revitalization, as little has changed on that block for years (besides the now closed Temple Club).

I'm really interested to see what Fady has planned for Tom's Antique Furniture Store as announced in the city council agenda, Monday. I wonder if we're talking upscale, market-rate, or affordable townhouses for that site? It would have been the last place I'd have expected to here and announcement about. Fady seems to own quite a few properties on the outskirts of Old Town.

BTW, just because 517 East Grand River didn't burn down doesn't mean the damage was insignificant. I hear the top floor apartment is a total loss.
  • I think there will be some good that will come from the fire, the building was uninspiring. I watched the fire, it was pretty extensive, and plenty of water was dumped on it.

My house burned down last year, and I can tell you that the water does almost as much damage as the fire. The toxic smoke is very damaging to.

The fire briefly spread to the tar roof of the media store.

Are you guys certain that Fady is going to put townhomes on top of Tom's, I chat with him about once week, and I'm pretty certain that his store is not the property in question, it just doesn't make sense. Tom knows that his building was built to go up, and he would be willing to sell, but he knows his property will be very valuable.
  • I'm just telling you what I read on the Monday agenda which read:

g. Letter from Tom Powers of 319 E. Grand River in support of SLU-3-2006 a Petition for Special Land Use filed by Fady Inc. to allow for construction of a 4-Unit townhouse building

Now that I read it, though, this could very easily be read that Tom is simply in support of a 4-unit townhouse building somewhere else in Old Town. Now, I'm confused. lol
  • yeah, its that he is in support, It's Tom Powers of 319 Grand River. Just like when John Pollard of whatever Blair Street.

I wrote a letter of support for Richard Karp's condo project, its just a letter of support to help the council members push it through.
  • I feel so stupid, now. lol Still, I'm interested in that project, as well.
  • I went over and chatted with Tom, the townhouses that Fady wants to build are on Larch, on a lot that is vacant, east side of the street, near American Eagle.
  • Yeah, there are quite a few vacant lots near American Eagle if I remember correct. It will be nice to see one of those disappear.
  • edited November 2006
    Actually, there aren't that many. Larch between Grand River and Oakland is pretty much lined solidly with houses the whole way, which is why I'm still confused about exactly where this is going. The only lot that I can think of is maybe the small gap 3-4 houses north of Oakland on the eastside of Larch, right Matt? If you could ask Tom about the exact location, that'd be great.
  • Looks like they've painted the old Frisbees Building the dark red that is used acrossed the street on the Firm. It looks really nice, and much better than before.

Also, on Washington, the Capitol Pharmacy Building is getting its new windows, I noticed.