General Lansing Development

Comments

• I thought this was an interesting article on the old John Bean building on Cedar St:
    Lansing's John Bean building now a beehive of businesses
  • It was a very interesting article. I'd always wondered how filled the building was, and this answered my question. It reminds me of the situation up at the old Northtown Commerce Park (old Melling Forge foundary) in Old Town. If people didn't know any better, they'd think these things were abanonded, but there is a lot of raw industrial space still being used in these huge industrial complexes across the city.
  • The old Comp USA spot in Frandor is definitely moving forward for something. The front looks brand new, all new doors and windows, the interior had been torn down to the metal support beams and now has all new walls and some are painted unique colors. Anyone heard anything about something going in there?
  • Also, the Ignite Lansing event last night in the Knapp's building appears to have been a success. My wife went and said ~600 people were there and I went by it and it was just cool to see the place bustling.
  • Sorry to inundate the board with smaller stuff, I'm not sure if people find these things interesting or not.

However, Tin Can, the new bar by Harem's has a pretty cool permanent sign above their entrance that hangs out.
  • I heard a while back that the CompUSA location will be taken up by one of the discount brands of TJ Maxx.

Ignite Lansing would have been cool to go to. The pictures on the LSJ site don't really show much of the building though :(

I'll have to check out the Tin Can soon. Thanks for the updates micro.
  • edited March 2010
    It was reported as far back as December in the LSJ that the CompUSA Building was being converted into an AJWright, which is kind of a sister company to TJMaxx. I think hood may have even posted that here when it was reported.
  • Actually, I did a word search for "comp" as far back as October on this forum and there's been no mention of what was going in there at all, and no article was posted. In fact, you can see your post back in December about this below.

CommentAuthorMichMatters
    CommentTimeDec 19th 2009

Hasn't it been like that for some time? I'd not heard of anything, but maybe something is happening. I just suspected this was to properly secure the building from being broken into
  • I must have read the LSJ article but never posted it on the forum. That's good that it's on here now :)
  • The S. Washington Sq. building that contained the former Kelly's location and recently had a facade rennovation now has a sign up but is covered with tarp. The sign extends perpendicular from the facade and has writing in neon lights. With the tarp in place I could only make out the bottom word: "Saloon." The interior that is in place currently (what looks like a bar counter) seems to have a western theme to it.