General East Lansing Development

Comments

• edited November 2010
    Actually, the more looking around I do, the more that I see this looks like a proposal from July 2008. I doubt it if H Inc. is still pursuing the idea, since it doesn't show up in any of the City of East Lansing's planning commission or DDA meeting minutes since then.
  • I do not know when the relevant pdf was posted on the H Inc. website. The East Lansing anti-development constituency, however, has recently become aware of the proposal:
    http://publicresponse.com/index.php?page=article&cid=149&aid=680
  • I think Jared is dead on. The city of East Lansing sought out proposals for the Albert Avenue surface parking lot a couple years back. This proposal is likely a result of that process. Given how the national economy has changed in those two years, as well as the banking environment, I can't image any project like this would happen any time soon.
  • Construction on the Louis St. development is continuing. They have the structure of the 2-floor parking garage completed and look like they are now working on the third floor which will be residential. They plan to construct a 4 story / 44 foot tall residential building with 12 units and four bedrooms per unit. It will have two floors of underground parking and will mirror much of the design of the other apartment buildings that have just been built on Louis St.

I grabbed a video of the progress and should have it uploaded soon.
  • edited November 2010
    MEDC announced this tax credit today:
    City of East Lansing – State and local tax capture valued at $3 million will support a brownfield project to demolish two functionally obsolete, single-use two-story structures and construct an eight-story mixed-use building on the property located at 211 Albert Avenue. The project is expected to generate up to $9.7 million in new private investment and create up to 45 new jobs.
    http://www.mlive.com/michigan-job-search/index.ssf/2010/11/granholm_announces_nearly_6300_new_and_r.html

Is this the project to add stories to the building with The Post or is it the project next door that is supposed to have a restaurant "incubator" in the ground floor? Does anyone know the timeline for this project?
  • Next door. The Post project is only adding two stories to the top of the existing structure.
  • edited November 2010
    There's a State News article out today that touches on a couple East Lansing development projects. The first relates to property at 2000 Merrill Road being sold by the city via purchase agreement. The article seems kinda confusing, and I'm actually not sure where Merrill Road is located. I know of Merrill Street, which would be just west of that Subaru Dealer off of 127, but that's in Lansing.

The rest of the article touches on some BRT stuff, so I'll post in the Light Rail thread as well.
  • Construction on the Louis St. development has been continuing. The building is now at its final height, which is five floors above ground. There are two floors of parking, with one above ground and one below ground. The building is located pretty close to the road and so it has a nice large presence on the block.
  • No pictures?
  • I'll try to take some pictures soon to show it's progress :)