Marketplace

Comments

• Here's an LSJ article from today discussing the sculpture that's going on the riverfront, near the City Market:

Sculpture planned to embellish Lansing riverfront
  • I didn't see any timeline in the article. Anyone know when they think the sculpture will be installed? Or are they waiting to get enough money before it will be installed?
  • I'm not sure as to a specific timeline, but I'm pretty sure they plan on installing it sometime this spring/summer.
  • A few days back, the Gillespie Group put up a sign advertising permit and event parking at the site. I just really hope he starts on the project, this year, because you don't put up a sign for permit parkign unless you're planning to use the site as such for long enough to make money, which wouldn't be a few months.
  • Do you remember what the last start date he gave was? I thought he was saying spring or summer.

Anyways, he could still offer parking on that site even while construction is going on. From my understanding the first phase of the project will only be one 6 floor building at the NW corner of the property, so there could still be a fair amount of room for parking.
  • Capital Gains Media is reporting that the Marketplace development has been awarded a 20 percent tax cut, and will proceed with construction. They are now putting saying that construction will start at the end of 2011, to allow time for planning, budget, and financing.
  • hood wrote:
    I can almost guarantee that the Saginaw St bridge is going to be rebuilt before too long. It's a very old, very busy bridge, making it a good candidate for reconstruction. I'm almost sure that when they do rebuild it it will be higher up, or at least use lower-profile girders.

I talked with someone in the know about this last night, and its slated to be rebuilt in 2012 as of right now. When I asked about clearance, he said they are still trying to figure out how much they can raise it, because for every inch up you go, you have to go so many feet out from the bridge with your slope.
  • I doubt that they would have too much trouble getting the clearance needed. It only needs to be one or two feet higher, much of that could probably be gained by thinner girders. I do hope that date for rebuilding holds up though, that bridge is in pretty rough shape even with the work they've done on it lately.
  • BTW, I got the downtown newsletter, last week, and Gillespie is selling up to 6-month permits for the Market Place lot. I'm guessing giving that that construction won't start any earlier than the end of the year, even though the development agreement had wording that said the thing had to begin construction by the first quarter of this year (or, was it even earlier than that)?
  • I forget when the development agreement said construction had to start, but I remember that the date was reliant on when the new City Market was completed (maybe it was within 12-18 months of completion?)

I just hope this project doesn't end up like City Center 2 with extension after extension of the development agreement with no progress on the project. I really want to believe that it won't, but who knows with the way things have been going.