General East Lansing Development

Comments

• It's just really hard for me to envision that Grove/Albert project. Eight stories!? That would have to make it the tallest structure in East Lansing (probably outside of Hubbard Hall), no?
  • The Marriott located just a block away is also eight stories IIRC, so it shouldn't be that big of a change in landscape.
  • edited May 2011
    Aaah. I knew I was missing something.

The Marriott doesn't quite have the same effect that this building may have though. The higher the floor in the Marriott, the more the building fades away from the street and condenses into the center of the structure.

laneae01.jpg

To be able to look up from the sidewalk and have an eight-story building looming right on top of you is a distinctly different experience.
  • East Lansing has tried for years to keep buildings low to protect the character of the downtown, but the market is now demanding something different, and I think that's a good thing. I forget the height limit, but I think it's around 6 to 8 stories. I wouldn't want to see any skyscrapers, downtown, but I wouldn't mind stuff up to 12 stories, as long as the top few floors were setback.
  • edited August 2011
    The Ann Street Lofts are moving along, and have the attention of the State News. It's said that construction will begin "this fall," and there's apparently a banner (I haven't been in downtown EL for a few weeks) announcing the pending project hanging from the former retail spots.

44455_mdh_new_annst_081011p.jpg

I guess the Post will not be returning after the current building is demolished. Sorta sad to see it go, but I think I was only even in there once or twice in the entire seven years I attended MSU as an undergrad/grad student.

As the professor's note towards the end of the article, I'm not sure what type of effect this will have on the vibrancy of downtown. I like the idea that this project should add more retail, and only one new restaurant, which will take the place really of two (Post/El Azteco), in the somewhat saturated bar/restaurant market.
  • The State News is reporting that a new coffee shop/restaurant, Red Cedar Café, will be opening at the end of August at 1331 E. Grand River (which I believe is the former Pizza Hut near Hagadorn and Grand River).

The owner's name is Angela Anderson, and is a former MSU Residential and Hospitality Services worker. Her comments in the article make it seem like she's trying to capitalize on the "I'm a student and need a place to study while sipping on some coffee and listening to my iPod" crowd.
  • edited August 2011
    I like the idea that this project should add more retail, and only one new restaurant, which will take the place really of two (Post/El Azteco), in the somewhat saturated bar/restaurant market.
    I don't think El Azteco is going anywhere. The building that El Azteco is housed in is across the alley from these two projects.
  • edited August 2011
    The Lodges of East Lansing is complete and ready for tenants: The Lodges brings 638 new residential units to East Lansing

The Lodges of East Lansing
  • edited August 2011
    I don't think El Azteco is going anywhere. The building that El Azteco is housed in is across the alley from these two projects.
    I should've realized that it wouldn't be included. I'm imagining that entire NW corner of Albert and M.A.C., but it's really just that building with the Post and what used to be Kirabo or whatever that store was.

The Lodges are certainly located in a unique area for student housing. Being back on Hannah, behind that Courtyard by Marriott and the Eyde building, would make me feel kinda displaced if I were a student.
  • edited November 2011
    Construction has officially begun on the St. Anne lofts (where the Post Bar and Karaba used to be located):
    http://www.statenews.com/index.php/article/2011/10/st._anne_lofts_begin_construction

46119_new_annstrenderd_102611f.jpg