The Abbot & The Graduate (Park District)

Comments

• Here's a copy of the Proposed Pre-Development Agreement:

Pre-Development Agreement PDF
  • edited April 2012
    The day of demolition appears to finally be upon us! The State News is reporting that the City Council approved the predevelopment agreement Tuesday evening, allowing demolition of the site to commence immediately.

In fact, it appears that Strathmore wants to get things started before Friday, as the site plan and special use permit would apparently expire if the first brick hasn't fallen by then. Scott Chappelle says that demolition should be complete within 60 days.

Lamar Construction, based out of Hudsonville, apparently has been awarded that work.
  • Well, according to the State News, the EL city council has voted to terminate this project. I hope they know what they're doing, but I doubt it. I know Strathmore has been dysfunctional, but EL has been mismanaged for years. I love the city anyway, despite horrible policies and decision making. So, how many years until those abandoned buildings are replaced? Any guesses?
  • edited June 2012
    East Lansing is far from being "mismanaged." That's the wrong word for the problem with EL. It's consistently one of the better governed cities in the state, fiscally. However, it is managed with a disturbing lack of curiosity and imagination, which makes for a city more boring and sterile than a university town should be.

I hate that this has dragged on this long only to come to this point. They should have squashed this thing years ago if they didn't think they could make this work. This is really kind of embarrassing for EL. Strathmore isn't exactly the most reputable developer, but if that's the case, for the city government to string on the public this long was irresponsible from a PR perspective.
  • EL City Council is responding to the wishes of their taxpayers and cutting their losses.
  • MichMatters- Excellent points- but if your points don't support the term "mismanaged," then what word would you choose? A large (and very visible) section of the downtown area sits vacant- and has for years- because of poor choices and a lack of direction. I'm sure that several exciting proposals never happened (and, perhaps, never will) because of this debacle. Also, Strathmore poured a lot of money into this only to see it evaporate (I understand Strathmore is also at fault)- so how many developers are feeling confident about entering into negotiations with the Council right now?

Nearly 100,000 people set foot on campus on an average day. This project was to be built at the intersection of 3 main corridors to campus- and adjacent to several established neighborhoods.... Well, you all see these points. I don't have to explain to you why this is so mind-boggling. I was never in love with the proposed architecture, but it wasn't horrible, and the proposed tenants were an excellent mix for the area.

PS- EL also allowed the Northern Tier to happen, adding to sprawl and diminishing the "city center." And, while they might be responding to the wishes of some taxpayers, they have also managed to turn EL into a police state with crumbling buildings. Most of what is great about the city exists because of MSU- and often exists despite the city government. There are some exceptions: EL schools are excellent, and there are some great community centers and programs- but even those benefit from having MSU nearby (an active, bright, and talented population).
  • Wow. I thought that this one could blow up, but it still came a bit out of the blue. Kudos to the City Council and Tim Dempsey for doing the due diligence on this project (even if it did come a little late), and making a decision based on solid numbers.

I do agree with a number of the commenters on the State News article however: What is the City to do with that corner? I understand the DDA is in control of that land, but that Ciitizen's building has been vacant for years, and a little green space wouldn't be such a bad thing.
  • j, you are misplacing the blame, I think. This isn't that Strathmore is "also" at fault; this is far more Strathmore's fault than the city. The city has done everything to make this work. That they stayed on top of the project for as long as they did (literally YEARS) is nothing short of amazing when they could have told Chappelle to take a hike. Strathmore has had more problems than just with City Center II. This company hadn't been up to date on its taxes for multiple properties it owns. The city went above and beyond to make this work, and finally had the good sense to cut the cord.

It's really sad, because there is no good answer, but I hardly fault the city government for this. That a city government even became a major party to a private development in such a major way is unusual; what this tells me is that the private developer didn't keep up their end of the bargain.
  • From the details in that article, this revised project seems much more feasible.