General Lansing Development

Comments

• While I don't know the specifics of the PILOT program, I am familiar with its existence as a development incentive. I was speaking more to wondering what the "Capital Park Center" and "Walnut Park Apartments" apartments might be. I don't know of any previously announced development on or adjacent to Walnut St, so who knows what the Walnut Park Apartments could be. Capital Park Center is a vague name and could apply to just about anything, the only thing that really comes to mind as a possibility is the Lake Trust property. I've noticed the council packets seem to have more 'not available at time of print' items lately, it's kinda annoying.
  • edited February 2016
    I just assumed these weren't new developments, but existing buildings where perhaps these are official/legal names of buildings with more common public names. That, or these are properties changing ownership and thus name, too. Who'd be building public or co-op housing, right now? Certainly we're not talking a trailer park development.
  • I don't know, the letters appear alongside a letter regarding the Abigail project which would somewhat imply that they're something else new. As for them being public or co-op housing, I'm not sure exactly what can and can't fall under the PILOT program, apparently the School for the Blind project qualifies and I don't think that it's entirely public/co-op. I swear I've seen PILOT incentives be used for projects before, but I can't remember what.

Assuming they are existing developments I'd guess they would be Capitol Commons as 'Capitol Park Center' and Ferris Park Apartments as 'Walnut Park Apartments'.
  • edited February 2016
    Only the Abigail seems to be up for it, and it is senior housing. The land bank will still be at least part owners in all of the properties on the site, though, right? Either way, I'm just under the assumption that we're not talking new constructions, here. Something like that would have leaked if even not been publicly proposed.
  • I've seen things in a 'letter from the mayor' before any public proposal was made, generally when regarding tax incentives.

Regarding the land bank ownership, I don't know. The first thing I did when you mentioned the nature of PILOT incentives was go to the news stories and see if they mentioned any public involvement in the project and they don't, so I'm not sure what kind of partnership (if any) the Land Bank or housing commission has with the developer or how much of the housing will be public/low income.
  • I mean, I don't want to belabor this too much, but I posted what pilots cover according to the state constitution. It seems to be mostly housing with some kind of public component to them, whether it be publicly owned housing or subsidized by local, state or federal governments in some way.
  • edited February 2016
    Looks like they are getting serious about building the zip line ride over the river downtown. I really like the idea of having attractions in the park. Like the tubing hill at Hawk Island. Bringing in money for the park and giving people jobs are great benefits that come from paid attractions. I don't know if the depiction in the article is what the tower is going to look like, but I think they could be a bit more imaginative about it. Right now it looks like something from a Marine training course. Why not something all steam punk big gears and exposed machinery for the elevator to take people up the tower, or maybe something like an old fashion water tower, or wooden fort tower. It would be nice to have something interesting to look at when the zip line is not in use. How about a zip line off the Eckert smokestacks now that would be a ride! [kidding]
  • I saw on mlive today some of Ann arbors new development proposals. Even they're new developments seem more paramount to Lansings. Not to be negative but Lansing has to be a little more tasteful and chooses with the new developments we allow, we seem desperate when we settle for anything some developer is willing to do.

http://www.mlive.com/news/ann-arbor/index.ssf/2016/02/potentially_700m_light_rail_sy.html#incart_river_mobile_home

http://www.mlive.com/news/ann-arbor/index.ssf/2016/01/developer_hoping_to_buy_ann_ar.html
  • @gbinlansing I like the idea of a zipline off of Eckert's smokestacks, it almost seems like a very likely use of the smokestacks as part of a larger reuse, maybe there could be a skyswing between two of them also. I've thought before that turning this into a hotel/entertainment destination would be a good use. I was thinking it would be cool to have an all glass winter garden type structure extend off the building, wrapping around the smokestacks. It would be the perfect setting for an indoor water park, which I think would do well in this area.

@MrLansing Ann Arbor has been doing pretty well lately, the Ann Arbor Development thread over on skyscraperpage is fairly active and shows a quite a few projects currently proposed, including some high rises: Ann Arbor Construction Updates - SSP
  • Thanks to hood for your response, Now that they are talking about re-using the Eckert building I look at it more closely as I walk the river trail. I try to imagine what it might look like all stripped down sitting there like the power plant downtown. My thought, monumental! That is one big building. I think it would be a good looking building with some nice glass work and some human scale ground floor plazas, and entrances. Dreaming about what could go into such a huge space, an aquarium with fresh water fish from the great lakes and around the world would fit. In Montreal they use 76' Olympics buildings for a winter garden they call the Bio-Dome [I think] any way it has several different types of North American landscapes with the plants and animals of each zone. That would be a great attraction, maybe along with more amusement type things like a nice hotel and some kind of "rides", gondolas through a network of canals, an indoor water park is also fun to think about. This is a place where Lansing could dream big!

Now that I have checked out what's going on in Ann Arbor in have building plan envy. I never got Ann Arbor in other words, what's so great about Ann Arbor? I know, no need to tell me! They seem to be dreaming and planning big. Can Ann Arbor be in so much of a better state than Lansing that they are planning street rail transit and beautiful sky scrapers? It also seems that they have more than one architect there. Maybe if Lansing had someone say, like the Governor living here in the Governor's house on Cambridge Road Lansing might receive more attention.