General Lansing Development

Comments

• What was the Gillespie announcement, I have not found anything about it?

I think they could control the water level to keep a more natural flow and keep the water colder and cleaner. Give it good flush especially in the summer.

• edited January 2018

Ugh. It just ended up being a contest, a way to win free beer and meals for a year at Lansing Brewing Company. They were trolling us.

BTW, I've been writing the city about the Form-Based Code that seemed on the verge of getting started at the end of last year. No response back from the councillers I emailed, but got a message back from the mayor. To my surprise he told me to...contact council, though he did say he'd raise it with them, too.

He seems to generally support it in theory, but seems not to know much about it as he seems to have thought that it's controversial in residential neighborhoods. I had to tell him that Lansing's version of Form-Base Code actually leaves single-family neighborhoods largely as-is in terms of zoning.

Not as hopeful as I once was unless him bringing it up with them will jog their memory. At this point, all anyone is asking for is to start the approval process which would mean forwarding this to the proper council committee and then having a public hearing on it. If there is any real opposition in the neighborhoods it will pop up there. I'd hate to see something the planning department has worked on since 2012 and something so transformative and a selling point for the city would basically just die of neglect.

For those of you who support the switch to the Form-Based Code, perhaps you can shoot him a letter explaining what you see its advantages are.

City email: Lansing.Mayor@lansingmi.gov

We complain a lot about design standards (poor/cheap materials) and the orientation of buildings on lots (too much front parking, too much parking in general, etc), and the FBC basically addresses all of that in a fair way while also protecting single-family neighborhoods from too much encroachment.

• Schuler's could take some space from Sears in Frandor. Sears generally isn't doing too well as a business, and a smaller footprint might help them. Gillespie owns the Sears building.

• Maybe Gillespie could build a building in the parking lot of Sears. There is a lot of room behind the Skyvue and on the east side of the Sears building. With the new improvements coming from the Montgomery [sp?] drain project and Frandor, I could see him build a building with ground floor retail and housing above. It could front Morgan Lane and have views of the new parklands with an L shape fronting the shopping center making Vine a real street.

• It is not going to become my reason for being, but I wrote the city via seeclickfix.com pointing out the spelling error on the new signs. They wrote this back, "The thought process in this was that the area/complex referred to, though it includes the Capitol applies primarily to the state office buildings which are downtown due to Lansing being the capital of the state not based on proximity to the Capitol Building where the legislature meets". What? Does that make any sense to anyone? It looks like it will be wrong for many years to come if this "statement" indicates their "thought process"!.

• I expect that when Sears closes Gillespie will tear that building down and begin redeveloping the property and I'd bet that most or all of the new buildings that occupy that space will be multi floor and mixed use. I've said for awhile that I think the Frandor area will become like another downtown and I believe that now more than ever, there's going to be an incredible amount of change there in the coming decades.

• So, we were wondering how they were going to fit all of those units into 735 East Hazel at Hosmer. Well, now we have an answer: They are container-inspired units.

LANSING — Shipping container-inspired apartments could soon be a listing in Lansing.

Developer Urban Systems plans to piece together units with actual storage containers or build structures to mimic them as part of the redevelopment of a roughly 145,000-square-foot warehouse in Lansing.

Urban Systems is aiming to have residents move in spring 2019, said Brent Forsberg, an Okemos developer and one of three principals for Urban Systems.

Not my cup of tea at all, but now we know what's being planned. The 130-160-unit development will be called "The Wing."

• edited January 2018

Mich - I have to disagree with you on this one. That high density, cool concept, warehouse style housing suggests they are aiming for artsy types. I think that's a perfect kickstart towards rehabbing that whole decaying warehouse district running along the tracks from that building on Hosmer/Hazel up to Michigan Ave. Especially if they incorporate dedicated studio space into this and futurebuilding designs. That whole area screams future art colony corridor to me!

• Am I guessing these units would line up with the outside windows? For me, it would be rather strange if these units stand alone away from the walls and windows. Other than that, I like the idea, it is innovative, I think young people and singles will like this setup. It will be interesting to see if this spurs more development in that area now that the BWL is moving out.
    I also hope that the new self-storage business up the street is going to do something with the outside of that warehouse. They have torn down the collapsed loading dock roof in the rear, so maybe work is continuing.

• Be sure and use the LSJ.com e-mail link to write the authorities in Washington supporting keeping our A.A. flight's time slot at National [reagan] Airport. It seems they use community support as one of the criteria for deciding what flights get a time slot at the busy airport.