MSU Development

Comments

• edited September 2016
    If they're going to rework the commuter and staff parking into greenspace, they could just be planning on expanding Shaw in that section to a 3-4 lane road. The merge in front of Shaw by the planetarium is pretty weird though.
  • I hope they don't create a 3-4 lane road. The 20/20 plan is about making the campus easier for pedestrians and bicyclists and that would be the wrong direction.
  • edited September 2016
    It does say road enhancement for that section, so I imagine that it means expansion if they are going to take out west-bound Shaw north. I'd rather them just leave Shaw alone altogether.
  • It looks like Crescent will connect to the Commuter Lot (Lot 89) and not Recycling Dr, which is on the other side of the train tracks. It's still kind of weird though because it will go through the Ag Expo site. I'm happy to see the entrance to the Clinical Center area off Mount Hope. That will be nice.
  • @cliffordzang Thanks for the correction.

I agree that the plan to eliminate N Shaw doesn't look like a very well thought out idea. I think the newly designated greenspace would be just as beneficial if they allow Shaw to remain as is, no need to make it continuous. To me the big deal here is the elimination of the Shaw surface parking, I'm very interested to see what they do with that space.

I'm also curious what they'll do with the land between the rerouted Red Cedar Rd and the river. I assume they'll leave it parking or possibly greenspace in the near term, but it would make for a very prominent building site at some point.
  • You're welcome @hood. I can't even picture how the revisions to Shaw will affect traffic. I'll just have to wait to see I guess.
  • MSU Today

Today, the MSU Board of Trustees gave the university the go-ahead to proceed with construction of the Interdisciplinary Science and Technology Building, a 170,000-square foot facility, which will play a key role in support of MSU’s Global Impact Initiative.

The project is expected to cost about $100 million and will come from the general fund. Construction is will begin August 2017 and is projected to be finished in August 2019. Input from the campus community will be solicited during completion of the design phase. This phase, as well as the entire schedule, will be shared publicly as the construction process moves forward.

Also, MSU Construction
  • The Interdisciplinary Science and Technology Building will be built at the corner of Service and Bogue Road by the Clinic, which makes sense but I really wish all of these buildings were built closer to central campus. Campus is continually pushing further south. It would have been nice to see something get built where Morrill Hall was.
  • The south end of Spartan Stadium will be getting a new one-story building to expand the concessions area, upgrade the bathrooms, and increase the plaza space. The LSJ includes a rendering, but I wish it didn't look so much like a bunker. Subtracting the brick it almost looks brutalist in nature.

Spartan Stadium, Jenison Field House getting upgrades
  • edited December 2016
    636174941837422635-Spartan-Stadium-South-End-Zone-Project-Renderings-2.jpg

I was kinding of expecting to disagree with you, but, nope, this barely improves the current look of the stadium from the south. It's really weird how they went all out on the north end and then just kind of plopped this down on the south end. Must have been running low on funds or something. If that's the case, I'd rather them just wait until they can do a better design job.

EDIT: An aerial rendering:

21719189-mmmain.jpg