MSU Development

Comments

• The elevator towers are up for the U-village high rise building on Harrison. This project is really moving along so quickly, it make me wise the university could run the other development project around Lansing.
  • edited August 2016
    The August Construction Junction is now in video format and covers the 1855 development as well as the Breslin Center additions. I didn't realize until now that the 1855 buildings fronting Harrison Road would include retail, that's great news!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShZ4MUqL8_Y
  • Nice. I did not know about the retail either. Surely makes sense to put as much retail as possible around MSU.
  • Man, those cameras really set the bar for construction web cams. Very nice.
  • I was wondering if they had a Breslin construction cam, they don't even link to it on their site. I added it to the Breslin thread for future reference.

One thing that I hadn't really thought about before was that as large as 1855 Place seems, at a total of 550k sq ft it's still over a 100k sq ft smaller than Skyvue, a single building.
  • MSU just approved $46 million for a new data center on campus, but it's going to be on Crescent Road near the old MSUFCU headquarters. I wish it could have been closer to central campus or downtown.

http://statenews.com/article/2016/09/trustees-data-center
  • They have been talking about this for a while now. Last I heard they were looking at a site on Mt Hope near the Tennis Center. I'm glad it finally got done though. I think Crescent Rd will be a good location for it. Much better than in the Computer Center. I've also heard that when they move out of the Computer Center they are looking at tearing that building down and leaving it open land since it's floodplain there.
  • That's disappointing to hear about the Computer Center.
  • I'd be a little surprised if they ended up tearing down the Computer Center building, it's fairly nice architecturally and it's about the only old building in that immediate area. It'd be sad to see it go.

I think Crescent Rd is a perfectly acceptable location for a data center, just about anywhere south of Service Rd would have been good. It'll be a little smaller than I imagined at 25k sq ft: Data Center - MSU IPF

project-data-center.jpg