MSU Development

Comments

• I wonder what those things are on the cement in the middle. It would be cool if as part of this project they bricked the pillars of the stadium so they all match the new addition. I think that would be the easiest way to make this look better.
  • edited December 2016
    Banners of some sort. They are probably there to visually break up the concrete as are the artistic lines in the concrete. MLive has a larger rendering.
  • Not to excuse the mediocre design here, but the north end zone addition has the locker rooms, recruitment center and media center to justify it's higher quality and larger size. The outside of this sounds like it will just be the backside of bathrooms and concessions, so there's not much to work with.

It's disappointing to see that the new STEM facility will be on south campus, I would have liked to see it occupy one of the parking lots along Shaw. MSU seems intent on growing south campus, I'm wondering if they'll petition the state to allow them to build their proposed hospital at south campus rather than Forest & Collins? I would certainly rather see a hospital at south campus, I think it'd make more sense from a public health perspective also as there are no hospitals on the east side of the metro.
  • edited December 2016
    I agree the design seems very defensive, or bunker like. I can not really tell were the gates are, or is this just the back of the concessions plaza? I was driving by Munn Arena the other day which really is a bunker, that was a design of choice during the days of campus unrest, so these days it could be much less defensive and present a nicer look to the street . How about continue the greenery with a patch of nice grass turf with a hedge row or evergreens where all the cement is depicted. The small line of windows could be much larger maybe surround them with large areas of green glass bricks the could be illuminated.
  • Ideally, everything would be near West Circle but reality is that MSU has a ton of land dedicated to future developments and needs, such as this building. We have to see how this translates into more urban activity. On a positive note, this building is a $100 million building and is part of the Global Impact Initiative at MSU to attract more and better faculty, so this is good to strengthen the local economy.

As for the Stadium addition, I read that it's mostly related to security and practical needs but it also serves as an initial stage to future additions, such as the larger one in the North Endzone.
  • I can not really tell were the gates are, or is this just the back of the concessions plaza?

The gates are the green things you see in the rendering on either side of the addition. They are green awnings.
  • The North end zone is really nice so I'm thinking that this will look better that the computer generated depictions here. While I understand the needs and sensibilities of a football stadium it is nice when they do consider that people have to look at it everyday.
  • Today, the MSU Board of Trustees gave the university the go-ahead to proceed with construction of the Interdisciplinary Science and Technology Building, a 170,000-square foot facility, which will play a key role in support of MSU’s Global Impact Initiative.

The project is expected to cost about $100 million and will come from the general fund. Construction is will begin August 2017 and is projected to be finished in August 2019. Input from the campus community will be solicited during completion of the design phase. This phase, as well as the entire schedule, will be shared publicly as the construction process moves forward.

It looks like the LSJ has caught this story.

EAST LANSING - Construction of a $100 million collaborative research building is slated to begin this summer on an already-crowded site on the south end of Michigan State University's campus.

Plans for the 170,000-square-foot Interdisciplinary Science and Technology Building were approved unanimously by the MSU Board of Trustees last month. Work near the intersection of Bogue Street and Service Road is set to begin in August, with an expected completion date of August 2019.

The university plans to recruit 100 new faculty members to work at the new building once it's completed. MSU will pay for the project out of its general fund.

The only other thing we find out is that the building will appear much like MSU’s Grand Rapids Research Center in downtown Grand Rapids, which just kind of drives home the point of how awesome it'd be if MSU developed in the central business districts of Lansing and East Lansing. It's always got me that they do everything in Grand Rapids in downtown Grand Rapids. I get that it's easier to build on land you already own, but if you're looking to recruit it'd be much easier to recruit to campsus sites in city centers. Oh, well.

• I don't think that MSU will add another building near downtown since there is no space and what is already there, I would say, is essential to University operations (classrooms and dorms). The only option is demolishing older buildings for newer ones but I don't foresee any reason for that to happen in the future since those buildings appear to be structurally solid.

Also, I don't think building locations affects the ability of MSU to recruit top faculty. What faculty really care about is the resources available to execute their work. With the ongoing capital campaign, MSU is moving towards providing more resources to faculty. I think that the University provides a good atmosphere to do your work. It would be interesting to see how the city adjusts to more University employees farther from downtown EL.
  • My thoughts exactly, MichMatters. I always view the development of Michigan Ave./downtown Lansing by MSU as an enormous missed opportunity. There is so much underutilized land, especially downtown. I'm thinking specifically of the State of Michigan parking lots.