General Lansing Development

Comments

• MDOT is is adding a weave lane to US 127 between Grand River Avenue and Lake Lansing Road:
    A construction project to be started in April will add a lane of traffic on northbound U.S. 127 between Grand River Avenue and Lake Lansing Road.

The $1.3 million project will take a month to complete and will add a "merge/weave" lane between the Grand River on-ramp and the Lake Lansing off-ramp. Essentially, a car entering U.S. 127 at Grand River and exiting at Lake Lansing will be able to make the entire trip without changing lanes once the work is complete.

The project is designed to alleviate traffic congestion on the stretch of road that sees an average of 56,000 vehicles per day, according to the Michigan Department of Transportation.

"This is basically to help control congestion in the area and improve safety. This will help with people merging on and off the highway," MDOT spokeswoman Kari Arend said.

This has always been a rather sketchy area traffic-wise and I'm glad they'll simply just extend the lane to the Lake Lansing exit.
  • Yeah this is nice improvement. It would also be nice if a sound barrier was added to the east side of that corridor to match the opposing side :)
  • edited December 2010
    I was just thinking about that, myself. Even more than the merge land and the wall, though, why in the world is there not lighting along this part of the freeway? The Lake Lansing bridge is an embarrassment in terms of aesthetics, to boot. You go from either side of the bridge where the area is lit like a Christmas tree, and you still feel like you're out in the country once you get on the bridge. Not to mention that it's just generally dangerous by night for drivers, let alone during any kind of weather event.
  • @ MichMatters: That can't be said enough times over.

Thinking about this some more, I think the money could be better spent (if at all possible) on a pedestrian bridge over 127 at Lake Lansing. The area is extremely dangerous for pedestrians and the closest "safe" route is to cross at Saginaw which isn't by any measure close for a pedestrian.
  • edited December 2010
    Even the area around Saginaw isn't exactly pedestrian friendly, with it's intermittent sidewalks. This is exactly, the entire area around that interchange is Lansing Township land. It's why you can be on the eastside of Clippert and be on a sidwalk and be on the westisde of Clippert where the parking lots and such literally come to the curb.

In fact, the Lake Lansing/US 127 interchange is almost entirely within the township, too, save for the southeast ramps. Honestly, those parts of the township on the eastside of Lansing can't be annexed soon enough to bring their infrastructure into compliance with the cities on both sides.
  • Anyone notice that a new restaurant is in Troppo's old spot? I think it's called Edmund's.

I don't know if they've been mentioned yet, but 621 has reopened and the Grand Traverse Pie Co is opening up on the ground floor if the Landmark Building.
  • What kind of place is 621? I've never been there.
  • Yeah here are two news stories about Edmund's. I saw another story in the LSJ, but can't find it now.

2 for $20: Edmund's Pastime Edmund's Pastime offers 'no pretension, just good, hot food'

Here's the blurb about 621:
    Lansing's 621 Bar Reopens After Hiatus

A Lansing bar has reopened after nearly two years. The bar, called 621 for its location at 621 E. Michigan Ave., reopened in October and held a grand opening in November. Owner Julian Darden said he and his wife, Juel, closed the bar in January 2009 due to the slow economy and need for renovations. They invested about $60,000 on renovations that included a new floor and bar, he said. The 3,000-square-foot 621 offers a full food menu and specialty martinis. It employs about 15. It is open from 4 p.m. to 2 a.m. Monday through Friday and 6 p.m. to 2 a.m. on Saturdays.
  • Has anyone else seen the Peckham warehouse that they're building out on North Grand River? It's about halfway between Waverly and 96, next door to Wolverton. The structure is almost complete and it's looking like a pretty big place, at least 200k sq ft.
  • edited January 2011
    Newly elected Secretary of State Ruth Johnson is trying to continue the directive of Terri Lynn Land by closing the two downtown (Lansing and EL) branches of the SoS for a SUPER! location in Frando Plus (the mostly empty shopping center just east of Frandor). She'll have no trouble doing it, now, with her party in total control of government. I'm really disappointed as there has been a SoS branch in downtown Lansing for decades, I believe, and the one currently on Washington is a relatively new one that has always been clean and quick and convenient. I understand the cost concerns, but I think these are the basic kinds of services that are part of solid downtowns; to continue to drive these state offices out to strip malls isn't in our best interest, IMO.