General Lansing Development

Comments

• Kind of random question, but does anyone know why Rum Runners, literally within the last two or so weeks, has essentially barricaded itself up when not open? I thought it may be because the homeless hang out/congregate in the tiny doorway patio-type area, but they've always done that, so why the change, lately? When they first began doing this a few weeks back, they literally had plywood up over the entrance area. Now, it looks like they've painted the plywood to match the facade. It's just bizarre and not a very good good look.
  • I haven't seen seen what you're talking about, but it certainly sounds odd. I hope that if they feel there's that great of a need for the added security that they find a more permanent, nicer looking alternative to painted plywood.

BTW, I sent an email to Gillespie Group about the 1621 E Michigan project and they responded back saying that it wasn't their project, it is Scott Gillespie's and they forwarded my message to him. I got the following message from him which includes some more details on the project:

"The project is currently being designed for commercial/office on the first floor and 12-14 urban apartments on the second and third levels. The apartments will vary in size from studio to 2-bedroom units with pricing from $700 to $950 per month. Our hope is to begin construction this summer and have the building open by Spring 2012."

All-in-all it looks like a pretty reasonable number of units with good pricing, I hope they go through with it.
  • You must have missed my post two up because I talked about how this was by the Gillespie Company (Pat's brother), and not the Gillespie Group.

Nice that they got back to you, though. I'm a huge supporter of smaller infill projects.
  • I see now...

I am surprised that Gillespie Group emailed me back. They've never even responded to my inquiries about their own projects, but they respond when I ask about a project that's not even theirs. Go figure.
  • Rum Runners was hit by a car on one of the snowy nights a couple of weeks back. It wasn't reported in the paper, but I saw it late at night as I was driving down Michigan Ave.
  • That would make a lot more sense. I'm guessing that the plywood will only be up until they can finish repairing the structural damage.
  • Thanks greener. Surprised it didn't make news.
  • edited February 2011
    Capital Gains has a good piece, this week, on Wenco Properties speculative plan to renovate the historic gas station at Elm and Washington for retail or office usage.

REO-storefront.jpg

Glad to see this one being preserved.
  • Wasn't a restaurant supposed to remodel that building a few years ago?

Wenco properties has done a couple other projects in REO Town, I think. If there the ones I'm thinking they're some of the nicer buildings on that stretch.
  • edited February 2011
    This is about past development but the LSJ has an interesting interactive map showing old homes and neighborhoods that were cleared to make way for 496 along with comparable census data then and now.

http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/99999999/NEWS01/90219004&odyssey=mod|dnmiss|umbrella|3&template=artinteractive

I didn't know that Lansing had a Division Street once upon a time.