General Lansing Development

Comments

• A while back I remember somebody telling me that there is another SoS branch in downtown Lansing for the state congress members. I can't find mentions of it in the SoS Branch Locator, so it might not exist anymore.
  • edited January 2011
    The renovation of the Temple Club building in Old Town Lansing is currently on hold. Until the commercial association in Old Town really decides to start getting serious about bringing in that entire block of buildings into their fold in a meaningful way, the eastern end of the district will always struggle.
  • It really sucks to see the Temple Club project on hold. I would really like to see Old Towns influence spread in all directions, but I'd especially like to see it go east. You bring up an interesting point that the ORCA may be undermarketing that eastern stretch, if that's the case then I certainly hope that they change their ways.
  • You know, I was really excited about Preuss Pets moving to the east end of the district as I was certain it would change things, but their renovation left much to be desired. They totally ignored opening the building up to the sidewalk (in fact, most of the windows are stil boarded over with painted wood panels), and it essentially functions like their strip-mall location they had in Haslett.
  • I was disappointing to see the way Pruess' left the front of their building, I think all they did was power wash the brick and paint the wood over the windows. I'd have liked to see windows where there were windows before and some exterior lighting and what not. Maybe they'll still get around to it though...
  • jj
    edited January 2011
    The East Village neighborhood (north of Sparrow) has a new developer:
    http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/article/20110115/NEWS01/101150321/Developer-breathes-new-life-into-East-Village-housing-plan

They expect to build 52 detached homes in the next three years. I always liked the idea of row houses on this property- but 52 new homes of any kind in that location is great news. I would imagine that Lansing Eastern HS and Pattengill MS will welcome this news- as should all taxpayers/ residents. I would definitely consider moving there (but that's not happening with my current mortgage in this market). Anyway- 52 family homes= maybe 250 new residents and a sizable boost to the tax base.
  • I certainly take it as good news, but I just wish they had some place to actually walk too. There isn't any retail business for many blocks in any direction, despite this being in the middle of the city, practically. It basically doesn't function any differently than a suburban subdivision, unfortunately.
  • Just think if some of the Boys Training school buildings were left, they would of been great for reuse. Here's a picture of the main building:

Screenshot-1.png
  • I just noticed a listing for this building:
    viewImage.aspx?FileGuid=56565C6F-2172-46B3-94A4-B5EF087AF883&Extension=jpg&Width=631&Height=421

This a proposal by Gillespie to build a 3 floor mixed-use building at 1621 E Michigan Ave, at the NE corner of Shepard and Michigan, where the old gas station is.

"New Mixed-use building with first floor commercial space. Up to 4,000 SF available with rents starting at $16. Great visibility on highly traveled Michigan Avenue, with easy access to downtown Lansing, East Lansing and Michigan State University as well as highways.
    Strong demographics and support from the surrounding neighborhoods will boost your success in this location.

Join the vibrancy of Lansing's East Side neighborhoods!
    Located in the center of Michigan Avenue between downtown Lansing and Michigan State University. Only four blocks from Sparrow Hospital, making this an ideal location for medical/office. Located on one of the most highly traveled bus lines in the Midwest, making this location ideal for a coffee shop, retail or service."

Property Brocure (pdf)

I'm very glad to see a building like this go up on Michigan. I can only hope that this one goes through and is followed by many more because this is the exact kind of development that I'd like to see all along Michigan Ave.
  • edited February 2011
    Completely agree. Michigan Avenue is the perfect place for a wall of low-rise infill.

BTW, I see this is from the Gillespie Company, which I believe is run by the brother of Pat Gillespie who runs the East Lansing-based Gillespie Group. Scott Gillespie (Gillespie Company) also owned and renovated the building immediately west of the gas station that's not fully occupied, again. Scott has done some other small renovations, downtown. He's always been able to attract tenants, which bodes well if this project ever comes to reality.

One of the biggest redevelopments I'm looking for is of the large lot on the block adjacent directly to the east (1700 east block). It's where the two giant apartment houses use to be up until a few years ago, and it's quite a deep lot, too, and it's up for sale/lease. Then you have the newly cleared lot at the southeast corner of Michigan and Fairview also up for sale or lease. Lots of opportunities.