Eastwood Downtown Development District

Comments

• There's been people living there for at least a month or so, I don't know for how much longer than that though. There was nothing about it opening in the news that I ever saw.
  • Thanks for the photos. I do tend to be overly critical of corrugated metal as an outer siding, and here again I will have to go and have a look myself. I can not say that I really like this building's facade treatment. Is it suppose to be a reference to industrial warehouses, or a Dutch public housing color scheme? I just don't get it. The rainbow is nice!
  • Any idea what the restaurant bring built directly north of Culver's is going to be? I can't find anything on it. I didn't see any signs up around it. The only thing I've been able to find is a mention of a contemporary Mexican restaurant in this article: "5 new restaurants part of Heights at Eastwood project"
  • It is going to be big what ever it is.

I was up that way and noticed big machinery on top of the hills just north of Eastwood. Is that a land fill,or a gravel pit? Is that what people see out their windows in the hotel and apartments? I guess I would ask for a room facing south.
  • edited March 2016
    Depends on which side of Wood Road you're talking about. On the west side is the Granger landfill atop the hill; on the east side is a concrete company. This area is part of the Mason Esker that roughly runs through Mason to Clinton County via Holt and the eastside of Lansing. South of the landfill and concrete company along Wood, you have the gravel pits (former and current) along Lake Lansing right at the city/township border. South of that a lot of the topography ended up getting preserved in Bancroft Park and Groesbeck Golf Course.

I'm sure it can't be pleasant when the wind blows the wrong way, though, in all my years up around the area, I might only be able to ever recall a smell once. That said, I'd think at least the concrete facility (and maybe even the landfill) aren't long for this world with all of the development up that way. Granger had already donated a large 75 acre tract north of the landfill to DeWitt Township and turned it into a nice park, which kind of signals they aren't looking to expand to landfill much in the coming decaes.
  • I thought the landfill was supposed to phased soon also but I looked on Granger's website and it says they won't reach capacity for 60 years. Wood Street Landfill - Granger
  • Those two things aren't necessarily mutually exclusive, though them mentioned they were gearing up to phase it out is news to me. It could very be that there is 60 years worth of capacity in it and they plan not to use all that capacity and phase it out much earlier.
  • I don't remember where or when I heard of them phasing it out, they may have just been talking about sections of it. It's certainly possible that they'll close it sooner than 60 years, but with that much capacity left I doubt it will close anytime in the next 20 or 30 years without some major outside pressure forcing it's closure.
  • Yeah, I wouldn't imagine them closing it any time soon short of that outside pressure. But, I do see that outside pressure given how quickly the area is building to be a distinct possibility that could speed them up doing this. At some point that land becomes more valuable as something else then it does as a landfill.

And, then we have an example, again, of them showing that they have the ability to turn around quickly and clean up land in the immediate area with Granger Meadows Park. I doubt it'll ever be suitable for anything other than a park for decades, but I can totally see them moving their landfill operations from the site in the not-too-distant future.
  • I have found the topography of the Lansing area interesting, from the air it looks so flat, like a huge forest with just the downtown buildings showing above the tree line. On the ground there are many small hills and valleys, and as you say eskers to walk through and over,it is so much more interesting than it might seem from the air.

Out east on Cape Cod they closed all the landfills, each town had one, and now ship the waste off cape to a facility that incinerates it as fuel to make electricity. Recycling is mandatory for all businesses and residences. And they actually do, even the cooking oil is picked up and turned into bio-fuel. It is all quiet a production, but once you get use to it, just comes naturally. The foreign workers from Eastern Europe and Jamaica always seemed kind of amazed that we did this. While I do not really know the cost vs. benefit, or profit when it comes to how it all gets done, it was nice to not have an open landfill on this tiny piece of land out in the middle of the ocean. It did bum the seagulls out, and most of them left town!