General Lansing Development

Comments

• Southeast corner of Michigan and Francis would be CBI Copy Products, right? Are you talking about the northeast corner, where El Oasis has been located?
  • edited November 2010
    My bad, I mean the southeast corner of Michigan and Fairview. With Fairview, Foster, and Francis all so close to each other crossing Michigan, I get confused, sometimes. To make it even more simple, it's the lot next to the Hotwater Works, the hottub seller on Michigan.

There were two buildings on the lot. An old house at the corner and a kind of portable at the very back of the site.
  • edited November 2010
    5206027854_29f4bfe835.jpg

Its cool. Yeah I think someone was selling cars out of the one lot and I'm not sure what the house was being used for. I wonder if something is coming in there or if they plan on using it as a surface parking lot.
  • edited November 2010
    Ok, did a little back research and remembered the address, and simply searched tthe developers name to find where I had talked about this project, here. It was actually in this thread way back in May 2007:
    Spadafore Distributing Company is redeveloping the property at 2100 and 2110 East Michigan Avenue. This property currently contains a historic, unoccupied single-family home, and a huge parking lot with an old trailer sitting at the very back of the property. This is on the southside of Michigan between Fairview and Magnolia. The developer will raze everything on site, including the deteriorated parking lot and construct a 4,822 square foot, one-story office/retail structure (possible 3,000 square foot basement) that will have a brick facade. Potential tenants are being identified.

Looking up the home on the city website, I was able to find that it was built in 1910, and was nearly 2,000 sq feet.

I hope the plans are still in the works, and that whatever they build, they build it to the street and keep the parking on the street and/or behind the new building.
  • Does anyone know who's moving into the ground floor of the Michigan Dental Association downtown at Washington and Ionia across from the MEDC headquarters? The MDA moved to Okemos, last year, but I'm not sure if I remember who, if anyone, was to move into their old building. I was just driving by, tonight, and there is a new interior on the ground floor, and they were working on a storefront in the building.
  • Richard Karp bought the building. Arialink is on one of the floors. Not sure who is taking up some of the first-floor space - the back half remains vacant. I think they're doing lobby renovations to the building at the moment.

The first floor is very interesting space with floor-to-ceiling windows. Looks like so far they've kept offices on that floor to the interior of the building, with common space along those windows. They look nicely designed.
  • Yeah, even when the MDA was there they made liberal usage of the groundfloor floor-to-ceiling windows. The space along Ionia Street is looking particularly nice.

I had forgot about Karp buying this, and didn't remember Arialink was moving in, either. They are currently up in Old Town.
  • Ugh. The LSJ is reporting, today, that LCC is going to be building yet another 100+ space surface parking lot. This one will be at the northwest corner of Saginaw and Capitol (across from Durant Park). They cleared a few of the properties off the lot a year or two ago. I don't see how they are going to fit over a hundred parking spaces on there unless they are planning to tear down more. Either way, this is very disappointing.

There is SO much parking in the area, and even if it does get tight, at times, they need to be think again about simply biting the bullet and consolidating all of their surface spaces in a garage. We're going backwards.
  • The level of hate that I have for surface parking in Lansing is unmeasurable.
  • More on Arialink's move to the former MDA building, now being called 230 North, from the LSJ:
    Internet and telephone service provider Arialink is moving its headquarters to downtown Lansing from Delta Township as a primary tenant of the former Michigan Dental Association building.

Arialink, with about 50 employees, has moved about 25 employees into the new building. It plans to house a total of 40 employees there once offices are consolidated.

Arialink will occupy much of the second floor of the 40,000 SF building. Karp, according to the article, says a lobbying firm is taking up some of the first floor and he expects to have the rest of the first floor leased early next year. The third floor remains unleased.