General Lansing Development

Comments

• East Village is coming together more quickly than I expected. Looks like at least half-a-dozen more houses are going up since the pictures above. Also just a few blocks away, workers were busily working on the Armory on a hot Sunday afternoon. Was kind of surprised to see that, as well as an older resident of the nearby neighborhood tending to the urban garden right next door to the Armory.
  • It's now official, the ATS is coming to the Grand River plant: GM officially names new Lansing-made Cadillac the ATS
  • The Lansing School District lot for sale next to its headquarters is along Lenawee, between Walnut and Chestnut. See the CBRE site.
  • The listing clearly shows that the entire property is for sale, which includes the buildings and the parking lot on the other side of Lenawee. Lansing schools are doing this to save money.

519KzooAerial1.jpg
  • I would like to get away from the average development discussion and talk about a fundamental aspect of development: investment.

First, I think we can all agree that the Lansing region has incredible potential. Secondly, whether the region is growing or not, I think we can also agree that the region is under-performing since it is the capital region of Michigan, has great natural resources and location, and a world-class University in MSU.

Furthermore, what is stopping the Lansing region from capitalizing on these great opportunities and really attract the quality and amount of people that would invest in this region? Is there an increased need for venture capital? Does the region not have high amounts of the type of people that would open a business? Is there a need for more educated people? In general, what are we missing as a region?

(I refer to the "Lansing region" since most of the population is dispersed, but I really want to talk about development in the downtown areas of Lansing and East Lansing.)

Personally, I do believe the Lansing region is growing. Still, people are not capitalizing on opportunities, especially in the urban areas extending from Lansing and East Lansing. For example, the Lansing Riverfront is a very special location that is under-invested. That is the ideal location to open "grown-up" businesses and create a more adult environment. Like this, currently there are many more opportunities for the more adult demographic. In general, people have to invest in these opportunities for the region to really grow. If we were to mention one difference between very large metro areas, like Detroit, and Lansing is the level of investment.
  • Here is my list of things that I think could be done to improve downtown Lansing and downtown East Lansing. Some of them are already in process:

1. Increase transportation options between the two downtowns. Some examples of current transportation options: automobile, CATA, Entertainment Express, sidewalks, and bike lanes. Possible improvements include bus rapid-transit, increased quality of bike lanes (widening and increased emphasis/enforcement on the boundaries of the bike lanes/automobile lanes, as well as non-motorized transportation stations with air pumps, water fountains, and restrooms), and zip car locations in both downtowns (two exist on MSU's campus).
    2. Develop more urban parks that cater to more groups of people. It would have been great for East Lansing to place their aquatic center at Valley Court park instead of near Bath Township. A great example of what can be done is Ranney Skatepark (it's located on Michigan Ave near Frandor). We could add more skate parks, dog parks, parks catered to young children, basketball courts, etc.
    3. Increase the availability of some basic retail establishments that currently force downtown residents to leave the urban core. Adding a Meijer or Kroger to both downtowns will pull people to visit downtown as well as provide a more convenient shopping experience for those living nearby.
    4. Provide incentives for businesses to relocate to one of the downtowns. This could include reduction of required parking spaces, tax breaks for being located along specific bus routes (CATA route 1 in particular), &c.

What are some of your ideas?
  • The Lansing School District has sold its headquarters for $1.9 million to the same developer that owns the old YMCA building: Lansing schools sells admin building, other properties for $1.9M
  • edited September 2011
    Just saw that. What I found even more curious is how they completely avoided talking about the intentions of Y Site (Lawton Group). It really makes you wonder if they have any plans for the site or not. I'm still waiting to hear more about Ruetter Park Place, which seemed to kind of drop off the radar a few months back.
  • I'm also really wondering what their intentions are. I would like the see the buildings turned into apartments/condos, maybe with some office and/or retail mixed in. Between the old administration building, the parking lot and the old YMCA building, there is some real potential for a cohesive set of developments here.
  • edited September 2011
    I've always wanted to see the central business district expanded westward. There is actually a diverse neighborhood where this building stands that kind of gets overlooked (doesn't really even have a name) that is very poorly served by retail. I'd really like to see some neighborhood retail be included in anything that happens. There is a tiny market at Chestnut and Hillsdale, and that's literally about the only retail until you hit Washington Square, and even that part of Washington Square is pretty empty of useful retail, and there is quite literally nothing to the west of the neighborhood along MLK, anymore.