Off topic thread

Comments

• Pretty disappointed to see that the RTA failed in Detroit and the surrounding area. That proposal could have had a lot of positive effects for the region.

I'm happy that there wasn't a BRT proposal on the ballot in Lansing, it probably wouldn't have passed considering the total outcome of the election.
  • edited November 2016
    The kind of crazy thing was just how closely it failed despite how the election turned out. They'll have to wait for another two years to put it back on the ballot. Not too get too political, but there is going to be less money for all kinds of projects over the next few years. The TIGER grants that will partially needed for our BRT line were already super competitive. I've never doubted this thing was going to get done; I'm not so sure, anymore.
  • Hood,

I was pretty impressed at how well thought out and developed your concept of Washington/Mt Hope is. I work locally at a national Architecture firm and have done a lot of schematic design master planning in Sketch Up and it looks along the lines of something we would produce. I've never really realized how under utilized that site was and the potential it has, location and structure wise. I've been working on some pretty large projects with some notable developers lately and while I don't think any are really looking to take on anymore big projects right now but if the moments right I may very well try to push/suggest this, and direct them back here of course. I wouldn't try and take credit for it; I'm just very impressed and I think it'd be a great project for the city and that specific area. I'm curious, do you work in architecture, design, urban planning, landscape or any related field?
  • @Lymon89 First I have to say I'm truly flattered that you appreciate my idea/design. I've tried to put a fair amount of thought into it and I've tried to be as accurate and realistic as possible without being able to get onsite or see the inside of any of the buildings. I'm not involved in any of those industries and don't have any formal training, I just work at a restaurant now. It was/is my intention to eventually get involved in commercial development/property management but it was around 2007 when I was in school for it and trying to get a real estate related job so the timing was poor to say the least. Working on this and a handful of other Sketchup models has made me think about getting into architecture or urban planning, I'm just not sure I'd have the passion for working on more mundane projects or having to leave this area to get a job. It may be something something I need to think more about though.

As for my development idea/model, I'm pretty happy with what I've done so far but I feel like I'm pretty much at the limit of what I can do with it. There's parts of the two-floor buildings where I don't know what to do in the model because I don't know enough about the building's interiors and I've hit a mental block on the specifics of what to do in the various plazas and public spaces, among other things. I guess my point is that there's a lot of things that are unfinished or just representative of what I was going for and I would really like to see this project further fleshed out. If that time ever comes I'd love to be involved in any capacity at all, there's a lot of ideas I'd still like to toss around.
  • I think it is very important to keep fighting to keep Lansing on track, keep fighting to make our community a better place despite the outcome of an election. "t" has said he would invest in infrastructure, and inner cities, I think we should not rely on him or them [r's] and take matters into our own hands. Build, rebuild, create, make Lansing the most attractive livable place where everyone one is welcome.

I agree with Lymon89 hood had created such a great plan for an area that could really be a great place to live work or visit. Are you a chef? You have a knack for putting things together!
  • Just a note, they have repaved the utility digs on W. Mt Hope with black top up to street grade, much smoother ride for those six blocks, now do the rest. I don't know if this was the reason but several people had noted the bad patch job on the seeclickfix.com site. The city does seem to respond to problems brought up on that site.
  • It seems at times and by the list of last comments that I am the only one posting here. I hope that is not because I offer points that don't elicit a response, that of course is possible , but perhaps folks are busy this time of year. There many exciting projects that are set to begin in 2017. I hope more people will offer opinion and insight about these and the other issues that are brought up here. I already know what I think.
  • I really enjoy your posts and sometimes I don't comment replies because they would basically be "I agree" and I sometimes aren't sure what else to say. I know that this time of the year can be slower for construction updates. I'll try to post more comments with my opinions on the project. It would definitely be great if more of the people who lurked on the site created accounts and shared their thoughts :)
  • Yeah, a lot of times all I can say is "I agree" also. That's one of the problems with a niche site like this is that I think we all have similar opinions when it comes to the stuff that's discussed here. There's also some times where I don't post because I'd have to post a rambling essay in order to fully articulate my opinion on something, but sometimes a rambling essay is appropriate and I shouldn't scare myself out of writing a post that's a little long every once in a while.

...And I have to agree with Jared and say that I really encourage lurkers to post something if you have something to say, it'd be great to have a more active community here. I wouldn't mind expanding the scope of what's discussed either if people are interested, a few subjects that I think would be appropriate to discuss here are: include more discussion on outlying communities, cover suburban developments more thoroughly, talk more about local business, spout off ideas/concerns or talk about local politics/sports/news. These are subjects that I'm unlikely to make an initial post about but I may jump into a discussion someone else starts.
  • I lurk, but mostly because I've moved away (CA) and just enjoy trying to keep up with what's going on "locally". I don't have a lot to actually contribute.