Red Cedar Renaissance

Comments

• The private vs. public land issue is an interesting point. The fact that they are building the SkyVue building on private land makes me think that someone will be willing to pay the price to develop the former car lot. I think it is great that they want to develop a technically difficult piece of land. I am looking forward to the actual plans.

The "cheap" parkland is an issue that is troubling, and I guess private developers would not be interested if Lansing were to charge market price for the land. While understandable, it is a bad excuse for selling park land cheap or building an ugly building, " I had to build this cheap building because the land was so expensive" seems lame to me. It is also wrong to think of our park lands as cheap land to be sold off in bits and pieces as development warrants. The sub-station in the garden comes to mind, and Waverly golf course. Our parks were "paid for" by our forefathers and mothers when they created the parks. I think is dishonors them to look at this land as a commodity that we today decide we can no longer afford to keep. I am hopeful that the coming change in Washington and Lansing will mean that government will be turning back to our cities and helping to rebuild and maintain our public lands and infrastructure. I think voting for people who will help our cities is going to happen, and maybe than we can re-park our parks and not sell them.
  • This City Pulse article explains the cutting of the trees: Pat, bats and irate citizens

Apparently, the trees had to be cut down before the end of March per a Fish & Wildlife regulation in order to prevent a couple species of endangered bats from roosting in them which would have postponed construction until the fall.
  • The one thing I hated about the article is the overdramatic man-on-the-street takes; and it leaves you wondering if the City Pulse knew while they were asking them if they knew the answer to this, and if they did if they informed the people they interviewed? lol You all know I'm more critical than anyone, particularly when it comes to clear-cutting urban vegetation. But when they explained why this happened (and that the public part of the plan will be replacing all of the trees and then some), that's all of the explanation I needed.
  • I have not been by there. I am sure it looks shocking. Especially if you did not know the reason. Some people live in this world uninformed. I guess the bats will roost in the remaining woods to the south. It seems like 70 year old maple and oak trees would have value as lumber, it would be nice to know that at least,that these beautiful neighbors of ours for 70 years will be used rather chipped. I am trying to imagine the modern and beautiful buildings set among the marshes and meadows they are planning and how the whole district will look,this helps when looking at the destruction that is going to have to take place.
  • In their regular series on the five developments to watch in the region, the LSJ slipped in this little massing showing the layout of the site:

635946010046381193-Red-Cedar1-converted.jpg

The two hotels are the darker buildings.
  • Now if the Frandor area was walkable, and there were crosswalks on Michigan Ave...
  • edited April 2016
    The BRT will add crosswalks along this stretch of Michigan Avenue; in fact, a traffic light will be added at the intersection with Morgan Lane, the back entrance into Frandor next to Ranney Park. With all of these new residents, guests and shoppers, there has to be more crossings.
  • edited April 2016
    Is the massing showing that all of the buildings will be on stilts with a level of underground parking? What will be on top of the parking lots? Green areas, plazas, more parking?
  • I'm not sure what will be atop the parking plinth. The site plan I posted on the previous page isn't clear, either. It could be an above-ground level of parking or it could be interior plaza area.
  • Looking back at http://develop.metrolansing.com/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=127&page=6#Item_3, it shows there will be parking and sidewalks on top of the parking deck. The entrance to the lower level of the parking is near the front of the entrance in the last picture.