Red Cedar Renaissance

Comments

• Yeah, I'm happy for the changes to Ranney, though I dislike that this is essentially "solving" the Frandor runoff problem. Frandor has acres of paved parking lots that need to have green areas integrated, and this sort of sweeps that problem under the rug. It still exists, and much of the water runoff from those parking lots (in fact, probably close to 90%) won't make it's way towards Ranney.
  • Red Cedar is supposed to "solve" the run-off issues from Frandor, not so much Ranney. Also, the plan includes changes to the Frandor parking lots, too. Lindemann knows what he's talking about, so I trust that environmentally this is a significant improvement. It certainly sounds like it to me. Currently, the water from the parking lots go straight to the river. I've been over there watching it pour into the Red Cedar.

BTW, though the Tollgate area is a bit shorter north-to-south than Ranney, Ranney is a bit narrow east-to-west, so I'd guess they are about the same acreage.
  • Oh cool, I didn't realize that Frandor parking lot adjustments were still in play.
  • This plan is really exciting, and I hope the bean counters don't get a hold of it. I have noticed as you cross the Red Cedar there is a gush of water welling up just south of the bridge. Is that the outfall pipe for runoff? It will be nice when the day comes that our famous Red Cedar flows clean through it's banks.
  • edited February 2016
    The City Pulse updated this story, and in it includes a refined site plan for the actual development:

montgomery-drainWEB.9469.widea.0.jpg

Something that strikes me instantly is the tighter configurations of the buildings on the east end of the site. I believe this area was reserved for the townhomes originally which now seemed to have been moved behind the commercial development off Michigan. The building off Clippert also appears to be more substantial than originally proposed. There is also another traffic outlet created for the eastern side of the site. Also, there appears to be less parking or at least better configured parking.

It will be nice to see some new renderings, soon.
  • edited February 2016
    Thanks for posting. Looks like they also removed the eastern connection to Brody, which was expected because I didn't think MSU was going to want the thru traffic. It looks to be replaced with a pedestrian pathway.
  • @MichMatters As far as I know the buildings to the east were always supposed to be the student apartments, I do like this layout the best out of any I've seen. I wonder if the city is still holding out on the parcel at Michigan and Clippert or if it's just part of the main development now?

@Jared I'm also disappointed but completely unsurprised at the removal of the road connection to Brody. It would've required a major rethinking of traffic through the Brody Complex, I'd still like to see an east-west through street there though.
  • As far as I know the Michigan and Clippert parcel was always part of the development. The only thing I'm confused by is what they are going to put on it. Originally, it was the parcel for a medical office building, but the parking lot in this schematic looks like the parking lot for a hotel. Could be either. BTW, while there may have been student apartments on the east side of this thing, it's also where the townhomes were originally planned, too, if I remember correctly, or at least the townhomes were right next door to the west.
  • Just got back from taking my dog to the old golf course and current rumors around are that excavation will be beginning very early in April. Obviously unconfirmed, though there were quite a few orange LBWL flags in the ground so I would imagine it's gotta be happening soon.
  • An early April start date is certainly believable, if you heard that recently from a halfway reliable source it's probably true. The developers have been so guarded with information on this project I haven't had any idea what to expect but from early on they did speak of a possible spring 2016 start, I'd be pleasantly surprised if that holds true.