Accident Fund Headquarters (Ottawa Street Station Redevelopment)

Comments

• I't just looks like some sort of barge crane to me. I think it's there to do the retaining wall on the City Market side and pylons for the river trail on Accident Fund side (the trail has to go over the water by that water inlet part of the old plant.)
  • edited August 2009
    I was just looking at Christman's webcam and it looks like they have begun installing windows on the river side of the Ottawa Plant. They've also done quite a bit of work on the Riverwalk, including the part over the water.

Screenshot from webcam:
    TheChristmanCompanyAccidentFundNati.jpg
  • Some pics from today:
    th_IMG_0192.jpg

th_IMG_0184.jpg

th_IMG_0190.jpg

th_IMG_0193.jpg

th_IMG_0185.jpg
  • New pics from today, the windows are looking good and the demolition of the ramp has begun.

th_IMG_0207.jpg

th_IMG_0208.jpg

th_IMG_0212.jpg
  • They took the fence down at the location in the first pic? I was just by the site, yesterday, and the fence was still very much up.
  • Capitol Gains is reporting that along with taking down the garage, Grand will "open up into a two-way street". That's rather ambiguous, and I'd never heard of this. I can't imagine they mean the whole stretch, so what part do you think they'll turn two way?
    The ramp sits on the east side of the street and blocks what will be the entrance to the Accident Fund’s new headquarters. The one-way Grand Avenue will also open up into a two-way street.
  • They have tossed around the idea of turning Grand and Capitol into two ways for awhile now. I'm glad to hear that it's actually supposed to happen. I'm almost sure that they mean the whole stretch though, it wouldn't make sense to do just part.
  • The city's been talking for awhile about turning all of Grand Avenue back to two-way. When they tore up the stretch from 496 to Michigan Avenue, I was told they built it to two-way-street standards, so they could just repaint the lines. But I think the state may have some jurisdiction on the road too, which - coupled with the ramp coming down and CSO work - has made the change slow to happen.
  • edited September 2009
    Yes, I'm aware of the two-way conversion talks. It has been the policy of the city at least since the last decade to convert as many of the one-ways as they can back to two-ways. However, Allegan/Ottawa and Cedar/Larch (south of Michigan), are untouchable because they are part of the crucial, state-managed Capitol Loop. I just wasn't aware that the rumblings had been revived with the renovation of the station.

And, yes, the state does have some jurisdiction on this street, but only the part between Ottawa and Allegan.