Michigan State Capitol - Heritage Hall & More

123457»

Comments

• I visited the new Heritage Hall yesterday. I found the Hall very nice; the entrance does not feel like you are going underground, it gently slopes down to the stairs, and out of the bright/hot sun. Inside is a huge bright space that could hold a lot of people. The east side of the hall has historical displays about the different Capitol Buildings of Michigan and a lot of information about the present building. The center of the hall was still under construction but looks like it will be a large area for groups to form and the west side has conference rooms. Kind of a lot of stairs up the lower level of the old building. The lighting in the old building is very low and looks like gas light. As a native of Lansing, it really made me proud to see how nicely they have restored and added to our Capitol. The great lawn on the west side is really beautiful and for the first time since I have been back, I walked down the mall and saw a big fountain I never knew was there. It is cool very '80s I think.
  • Glad to hear it left a good impression, I really do have to get down there myself sooner rather than later.

And yeah, the fountain was built when the two buildings next to it were, I'm fairly sure in the 80's. There's a nice view out from the cafeteria below the plaza looking out at the base of the fountain. The Capitol Complex is nice place to walk through. I really do hope the state eventually follows through with making the area between Ottawa & Allegan into a park, along with maybe doing something interesting on the plaza where the old This Equals That sculpture used to be.
  • I think if you wait a couple of weeks all the work will be finished. I remember the sculpture; I liked walking around it. The sculpture was of a huge scale which made the shapes hard to figure out on the ground level, but when seen from the Capitol it was cool to see what the giant shapes were. I think Gov. Milliken paid for the installation, repubs were different then. The '80's fountain would have gone well with This Equals That.
  • I was there last Friday myself and took some family who moved out of state 15 some years ago. We did a guided tour and walked around the grounds after. They were just as impressed with the improvement to the grounds, the new addition, the impeccable maintenance of the Capitol, etc. Definitely worth a visit to check out the new visitor center. Something to note, according to the website (not sure if it's permanent or temporary), but the Hertiage Hall entrance is for groups and guided tours. The old entrance off Capitol is intended for self guided tours. My partner and I are trying to visit all 50 Capitols, and so far, this is the best welcome center. I don't think a single one yet has had such a large, nice hall for visitors.
  • @Lymon89 have you visited the Texas capital? Their visitor center and underground complex is really nice and both theirs and ours share the same architect if I remember correctly.
  • edited September 2022
    Yep, Elijah Myers designed three state capitols: Michigan, Texas & Colorado, in that order. Michigan's was completed 6 years before Texas'.