REO Town Development

Comments

• In REOtown they are rebuilding the facade of the QD building on S Washington where the brewery is going in. Looks like they are putting some big money into this project!

• They are installing the real windows in the BWL wall. It looked for a while as though the windows might be frosted but it was just protective paper you can look right through them. It could be that the fixtures and rigging are new but they seem extra shiny[most substations seem to be flat finished] when looking through the windows. It also looks like some of the overhead lines go right above and over the new garden site. Whatever they did not consider people looking up I guess.

• The rehabilitation of the Moores Park School is coming along nicely. They are installing architecturally correct windows, that look like the original late 50's modern style of the building. So nice to see them doing it right. They also seem to be rebuilding Smith Ave, I always liked the mix of houses on Smith.
    Just as a note, do not speed on S. Washington in REOtown there have been cops ticketing speeders for a couple of days now. the speed limit is 25mph through here [I think].

• This week in REOtown they have begun repairing the River Trail near GM where the bank has failed, this project[I think] is keeping the river quite low this summer and the exposed banks are covered with grasses and plants which look like a more natural river bank.
    Over at The Great BWL wall, they cut down about a dozen more trees that were in front of the area of the wall which will have an electric sign displaying art. Well everyone here knows that I am not a big fan of this project, and they could have left the tree standing. My hope for this sign is that they don't end up putting BWL ads and announcements mixed in with the "art". I wonder what the folks on the north side of my building are going to say when their apartments are lit up inside by this sign. Sorry, trying to "deal with it"...

• edited August 2018

I'd talked about it some months ago in the general development thread, I think (or maybe it was here), but the BWL told me that they've had some problems with the North Lansing Dam in not being able to maintain the water level that they want. This makes it so that the water level between the dams are lower than they should be.

I contrast to what you say it's been doing through REO Town with the lower levels, through downtown it's really just revealed a lot of gravel/stones, and nothing's really grown on them. So at least through downtown the lower water levels make for a kind of unsightly appearance for the river. :( Maybe I should write them back to see if they have any information on the dam, because it's been like this for over a year.

Back on the walls, I doubt the lights are going to be bright enough to be a nuisance; there might even be something in the city ordinances against light pollution, though I'd have to look.

• I think the river's channel starts to get deeper and more narrow just past REOtown so there could be less soil [mud] in the stones and rocks downtown for the grasses to take hold of. There is one big fallen tree right by the River Trail bridge where every size turtle from tiny to huge pull out to bask in the sun. I really love seeing those guys. I am going to write the city forest and parks and ask them to take note of the green growth in this area and perhaps they can find a way to build up these more natural slopped banks so that they are still exposed when the return the water to the normal level.

• I walked the River Trail over to Moores Park and noted that they have just begun working on the trail and had only removed the fence near the failed bank. Over at the park, the rehab of the school building is going along nicely, the park-side of the building looks like it is going to be a glass wall on that whole side of the building which looks very nice and contemporary, with the street-side windows looking like the original late 50's style. They are spending a lot of money on this project by the looks of the materials and the total makeover of the whole building.
    The distillery going in on the corner of Elm and Washington has a Dart Bank sign in the window which may mean that they have funding for their project to get started. The pottery shop next door has had really nice windows and doors installed at the rear of the building and seem to near completion.
    After weeks of no activity, there may be to be workers at the "potential Pablos" but is hard to tell what is going on in there.

• The ugly is spilling over the Great Wall. The BWL is erecting huge line poles outside the walled area on S. Washington at Malcolm X. I had thought I heard that there were not going to be any huge line polls on S. Washington. Well, there is one there now, and it is huge and ugly.

• It's now official; Pablo's won't open until "At least" spring of 2019.