General Westside/Delta Township/Eaton County Development

Comments

• It would be a better idea to redevelop the Lansing Mall area, into a more modern and urban setting. There is so much land under blacktop they could build whole new retail and housing districts. There seems little hope of that happening and I fear the empty big boxes will become storage facilities. Do people down the road have more money? It is all so short sited and wasteful and even ugly. I know it is about the money, I think that is where a good local government "could" enact better zoning and development rules and higher requirements for ascetic and ecological considerations.
  • Do people down the road have more money?
    Based on the types of businesses and their target markets, it seems that no one thinks that there's real money in Delta Twp- whether near the mall or near the highway.
  • Who knows the factuality, but this person says that the Township was incentivised to push development west rather than focusing on infill;
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/517livingcommunity/posts/3976196969369950/?comment_id=3976224942700486&reply_comment_id=3976251156031198
  • @sabatoa That's a fair point. I certainly won't argue that Delta Crossing is a net positive for the area, at least without its residential element.

That's an interesting perspective as to Delta's westward ambitions, I too wish they'd incorporate. I don't think this will play out well for Delta Twp as they have vast swaths of relatively small 1950's-1970's homes in suburban style non-walkable neighborhoods and lots of aging apartments, there's a lot of potential for much of Delta Twp to end up worse in the coming decades than what SW Lansing is today. I think large chunks of Delta Twp becoming the "bad" side of town is almost inevitable.
  • Hey, something positive for Delta Crossings: a Bass Pro Shop. It'll be 85k sq ft and is set to open in early 2026:
    https://www.wlns.com/news/bass-pro-shops-coming-to-lansing/

bass-pro-shops.jpg?resize=720,405
  • Oh, on the cleanup on the old Fisher Body plant, the EDC approved acceptance of the grant. The one thing extra we find out from the meeting minutes is that it's being prepped for future manufacturing development, and they say the remediation is a 5-year project (2024-2029).
  • edited September 4
    Came across this which has been in development since earlier this year. Earlier in the year, Grand Ledge and Oneida Twp entered into a 425 Agreement to conditionally transfer 78 acres to the city along Saginaw Highway just outside/non-contiguous with the city. Closest intersection is Maywood Drive to the north. It will be 340 units; quite dense. And a major tax boost for the city.

tynzgtkt1jy7.png

3r0dqj5hxcj1.png

A few years back the city and township set up a Cooperative Development Agreement, which set a boundary for development for Grand Ledge. Very smart, and I'd like to see other cities enter into these kinds of agreements with the surrounding townships to better control sprawl. The boundary makes it so that you have to maximize land use within it. GL has done pretty well, lately, with developing moderately dense residential development for a small town.

hy2y0anxshze.png
  • Nice. The Saginaw corridor is filling in fast now, I think Delta Twp has at least two single family developments waiting to start out this way besides the two that are already going up on Nixon Rd. It's good to see a fairly dense development that has no notable surface parking lots and doesn't waste a bunch of frontage on Saginaw.

I added this to the development rundown as I recently started adding medium-to-large suburban residential stuff fyi. I recently added a couple notable projects each in Holt, Okemos and Bath; there's multiple smaller residential developments out in Bath I came across while looking through their agendas that I didn't put on the list.
  • edited September 22
    Looks like Grand Ledge approved the rezoning on Saginaw for the massive housing development. They also approved further transfer of land from Oneida Township right across the street for a 55,000 sq ft Sparrow medical office building. This is just one parcel removed from the existing city limits. The current site is an old car dealership.

6psm8k3cj7ot.png
  • @MichMatters Was there no further details on what's planned? Another thing added to the development rundown list, hopefully you don't mind I'm borrowing your image links for the projects you share?

At 55k sq ft it's significantly larger than Mclaren's new facility down the road. One or both of these will eventually become a proper hospital in the coming decades. I figured once McLaren moved further east something had to be done on the west side of the area.