General East Lansing Development

Comments

• Oh I see, I wonder if any jobs or buisnesses will be attracted to the area due to the frib facility ( like high-tech ones, hospitals etc...). You would think with all the technology the frib facility have to bring with health etc... that MSU new medical school ( including headquarters) would be right in the city.
  • The FRIB will certainly draw some companies. If I had to *guess* I'd say medical equipment companies and maybe some private research labs. Also Niowave will certainly benefit.
  • Niowave never head of it (I'll look it up). From my understanding the technology of the facility is very high-tech.
  • It is very high tech. Niowave makes parts for particle accelerators, like FRIB. They are located in the old Walnut St Elementary.
  • There is a proposal to build new multiple-student and multiple-family homes on the 3.8 acres that was just recently rezoned to RM-54 (54 two bedroom units per acre). Oddly enough, it's being called the Delta Township proposal, probably because that area is called the "Delta Triangle".
  • edited January 2009
    There is an update on the Silver Dollar site. It cost $200,000 to demolish, including an unexpected $130,000 for asbestos cleanup. There was no mention of what might be coming in the location, except that the Land Bank is looking to sell the site.

The Steve & Barry's on Grand River is going to be replaced by Campus Street Sportswear, which was founded by some former managers of Steve and Barry's. They are looking to open in February.
  • At yesterday's City Council meeting, the city approved the request from Community Resource Management to rezone ~3.8 acres of land along Louis St, Michigan Ave, Delta St, and Elm Place to RM-54 (High-density, 54 two-bedroom units per acre). Most of these properties were doubled in density with this rezoning.

Also, the properties located at 113 and 117 Louis St are looking to rezone as well from RM-14 to RM-54. There will be a public hearing on Feb 19 for this. It is also pointed out in the meeting minutes that this is City-initiated.

I'm looking forward to hearing a huge development proposal for this site. These properties are directly across from MSU along Michigan Ave and within the Delta Triangle. Doing the math, that would be 54 units times 3.8 acres, resulting in about 205 units. If these 200 or so units are 1,200 sq ft each, we could be looking at a proposal for 246,000 sq ft of new development.
  • They didn't disclose anything at the council meeting?
  • edited January 2009
    Not that I know of.

From the Planning Commission meeting on Oct. 22, 2008:
    George Brookover, 1005 Abbot Road, representing Community Resource Management, addressed the Commission. He gave reassurance that the request is not part of some overall assembly of properties for a City Center II-type project. The applicant started the petition after reviewing the Comprehensive Plan. They felt that the RM-54 category would give him and other property owners more flexibility in terms of use in the future.
  • He gave reassurance that the request is not part of some overall assembly of properties for a City Center II-type project.

Sometimes, East Lansing can be so conservative. That he had to assure them of this speaks volumes. The city better wake up and realize that the only place left to go is up. Increasing density in this matured city is the only way the city will avoid further stagnation. I've been quite surprised by all of the NIMBYs that have come out of the woodwork in the past few years, to be honest.