General East Lansing Development

Comments

• Greenstone has an office in that area now - right along U.S. 127, on the east side north of Lake Lansing. Actually a good size financial institution - but with a niche group of clients. Essentially, they do financing for farmers, ag businesses and land owners. So us city-dwellers wouldn't be that familiar with them.
  • I've heard of East Village Red Cedar Island, proposal for downtown East Lansing. Anyone hear much about it, and how is City Center II keeping up?
  • The East Village Red Cedar Island you are referring to is the development being pushed for by the City of East Lansing. You can find more information about it at the East Village master plan and redevelopment thread.

City Center II gets some mentions every couple months by the press but there hasn't been much hard news about it in quite a while.
  • The Dollar Night club started demolition today, as reported by the LSJ. They didn't mention a replacement for the site, saying that two proposals for apartments and a bar/restaurant were rejected.
  • I think it's stupid that they turned down the proposals offered up earlier this year. I remember the one that included apartments and ground floors retail, it was a nice plan that I wish they would of allowed to be built.
  • I agree. That corridor is growing fast, and a development on the other side of the street would have been nice. I think it's only a short matter of time before something is announced at the old Sawyer's Pontiac site. Right next to the National City bank, the parking lot was marketed a while back for a restaurant development, but nothing came about for that. I think a development is poised for the site, and I'm hoping that the Land Bank knows something we don't.
  • The problem is the older folks along the northern side of Michigan and into the neighborhoods. This part of town has been trying to keep student housing out since as long as I can remember, but do it in such a way that they are anti everything for that area. Eventually, they are going to have to give. That area of the borderlands will becoming more dense, the only question is of time.
  • edited January 2009
    IBM will be bringing jobs to East Lansing

They will be occupying one of the floors of the old MSU Credit Union Headquarters on Crescent Road. The office will employ computer scientists and people with supply chain backgrounds.
    Information technology giant IBM plans to open a global delivery center for application services on Michigan State University’s campus.

The move could bring 100 jobs to East Lansing this year and create up to 1,500 direct and indirect jobs in five years.

Officials said today that International Business Machines Corp., based in Armonk, N.Y., will move into vacant space in the former Michigan State University Federal Credit Union headquarters in East Lansing.

Workers at the IBM office will develop applications and provide IT support services to state and local governments, universities, telecommunications companies and health care providers.

It’s IBM’s first such facility in the United States, the governor’s office said.
  • Good news, I don't know much about IB but could the frib facility have attracted this business?
  • edited January 2009
    I don't think IBM was attracted to MSU because of FRIB, although it doesn't hurt. They are in two very different industries. What does probably attract IBM is that MSU has one of the nations top (if not the best) Supply Chain school and and also the top Packaging school in the country. The Computer Science graduate program was recently ranked 18th in the nation. Those are three really good attractions for IBM.