General East Lansing Development

Comments

• Are there any good-sized employers near downtown EL besides MSU?
  • Almost all jobs located near downtown EL besides MSU are service-oriented, mainly retail. There are a couple of professional offices located downtown, and I think the biggest office space in downtown in Plunkett & Cooney, a CPA firm, but I don't know how many employees they have. Along with Plunkett & Cooney, there is the city employees and AT&T, across the street from City Hall.

There is also a good size office building for CBRE Martin and Plante Moran located next to the Brody Complex on Michigan Ave by Harrison.
  • edited March 2009
    Jared,

Where is MSU Technologies, currently? They said on Collins Road, which is where Lansing's own Regional SmartZone, is. I hope they didn't move out of Lansing's SmartZone simply to move into East Lansing's SmartZone.
  • MSU Technologies in the MBI building, which is in the Lansing part of the regional SmartZone. Remember that the East Lansing and Lansing SmartZones are linked. There would be a loss of some Lansing income taxes by the move to East Lansing, but it opens space in an otherwise pretty full MBI building for other businesses.
  • edited March 2009
    Linked; how so? Just to be clear, I'm sure the downtown EL spot would be a better fit for the company, but I just can't ever get excited with the whole "muscial offices" game that gets played in the region since so little investment is coming in from outside the region.
  • It's officially the Lansing Regional SmartZone. It was created in a joint effort.\, by state legislation, including four geographic areas in Lansing and East Lansing. The idea was to encourage growth of high-tech companies in clusters in the two cities, with links to MSU. Lansing and East Lansing officials coordinate with other economic development groups and MSU on the local SmartZone.

MBI is controlled by the university (it's owned by the MSU Foundation, which controls the University Corporate Research Park). If the move by MSU Technologies creates space in MBI for other companies to grow or move in and have access to its lab space, then a move of a purely office user into the East Lansing section of the SmartZone could be a good thing. Hopefully it's not a game of musical offices - time will tell.
  • edited April 2009
    Not sure if this was a possible April Fools joke, but it was leaked that Mateen Cleaves, on "The Herd" with Colin Cowherd on ESPN Radio, along with Chris Webber are going to be opening a sports bar somewhere near campus called "Mateen Cleaves' Center Court."

Again, not sure if this is a for sure thing, or where it would go, but it could be pretty decent if done right.

NOTE: It's the first thing mentioned, so you don't have to listen to a long clip.
  • I'd doubt it's an April Fools joke, it wouldn't be very funny. I think it would be nice if he opened a restaurant though.
  • At Tuesday's City Council meeting, Lingg Brewer will be asking for approval to add a third story to the house located at 500 Albert Ave. The planning commission already gave approval. Previously, he had asked for a five-story building on this site but the City Council denied it.

Not huge news, but it's nice to see some more construction coming in East Lansing. One other construction project that will happen just down the road will be renovation of the south east corner of University Place. The city is paying to have the plaza rebuilt.
  • At tomorrows City Council meeting, CRMC is proposing redevelopment of two properties along Louis St. They plan to tear down two houses and construct a 4 story / 44 foot tall residential building with 12 units and four bedrooms per unit. It will have two floors of underground parking and will mirror much of the design of the other apartment buildings that have just been built on Louis St.

This is the first development to come out of the large rezoning that took place back in January and turned a number of properties to RM-54 (meaning 54 two-bedroom units per acre). This is the densest zoning that the city allows for residential.

Here is an image of the front of the building (note how it looks sideways, this was done for setback reasons): http://screencast.com/t/nrixBVxSHlY