General East Lansing Development

Comments

• edited May 2013
    Saw that a few weeks ago on their site. I hate to keep being "that guy" but I'm getting a bit disappointed with the Gillespie Groups, designs, and would like to see some other developers get brave enough to start investing the metro area. I mean, this isn't horrible, and the Dollar wasn't anything special, either, architecturally, but I'd really like to get away from these cheap Lego-looking designs and start building something either more modern or more traditional. All of their recent designs are just so safe...too safe.

That said, it's always going to be hard to develop on this stretch of Michigan Avenue for the simple fact that it's in a floodplain. It's why all the developments along it or planned along it begin their residential units on the second level. Ground floor retail in this area is going to be very expensive due to the increase insurance rates because it's in a floodplain.

EDIT: Almost forgot, this site is literally on the border of Lansing-East Lansing, but it's technically in Lansing.
  • edited May 2013
    Here are some mockups from the DTN proposed development on Grand River that would tear down the original Biggby location and use the vacant land directly across the street.

http://screencast.com/t/f6GcSxTT7tu
    http://screencast.com/t/iOwWp3d2V
    DTN proposal mentioning the project
    Type: Mixed-Use
    Year: Anticipated to start in 2013
    Commercial: 2,300 square feet
    Residential: proposed 148 units

This would rebuild a new Biggby in essentially the same location with the addition of a drive-through, and additional commercial/retail space along Valley Court. There will be 2 levels of parking for the residential and commercial users. Delta Street would remain where it is. The proposed building will bridge over the top of Delta St.
    It's great to get the vacant land occupied as well as a better use of the Biggby land. I don't think there is really anything architecturally significant about the Biggby building, except for the historical significance that it's the original location.

I'm disappointed that they want a drive-through here. Drive-throughs really shouldn't be allowed in urban cores, as they create too many hazards for pedestrians and cyclists. They also promote the car-heavy traffic, and don't push people to support the surrounding businesses.

Part of me likes how the development bridges Delta St, but the other part of me doesn't like how it closes off the park and makes Valley Court park seem very hidden to people on Grand River.
  • I agree on all points, Jared. Hopefully, the drive through will be incorporated into the enclosed parking and will share an exit with the parking.

I have no idea what I'm looking at when I see that rendering. It's a cool idea, but the rendering looks like something from Star Wars. I can't get any sense of what it will actually look like when built- especially the scale of it... I guess it's important to remember that it will be 6 stories tall, so what looks like a really narrow and short opening for vehicles is maybe 12 feel tall? Is that a glass walkway over Delta St?

It will have a big presence on Grand River Ave and will really change the feel of the area. That's for sure.
  • I'm also having trouble seeing what we're looking at in that rendering. It looks like we're looking south from Valley Court Park, maybe?

Anyway, completely agree on drive-thrus. The Stadium District in downtown Lansing is a perfect example of that. You could literally have fit a whole other Stadium District behind the current one, and then built a small parking garage on the surface lot on South Cedar, there, which was actually the original plan.

Anyway, what I DO like is that something substantial is being put up, here. Downtown East Lansing has always looked dinky for a city of its size, and I'm glad that we're seeing some very real density increases and expanding the downtown to the west since it really can't be expanded in any other direction.
  • Okay, so I was by the 504 Michigan, today, and I take back a lot of what I said above. Why it'd have been nice to have the parking located further to the back of the site, the building looks MUCH better than it does in the above rendering. It uses fairly quality materials so that it doesn't look cheap, at all, or stick out in a bad way.

BTW, it was also weird seeing the Michigan Avenue median torn out while they are reconstructing the street. Gave the street an entire different feel.
  • The renderings above are for the project that will be located next door, at the gas station. Construction hasn't commenced on that project yet.
  • I was confused. I thought it looked a little different. Are this by the same company?
  • I'm pretty sure that they are two different companies and are unrelated. This all appears to be stemming from the rezoning that happened a couple years back. That was a great move that should have been done a while ago. I'm curious what other areas could have their density increased to promote more infill.
  • A rendering of DTN's 300 Grand River project was included in their City Center 2 proposal. This is the project that they're tearing the Bigby down for and includes the land that was supposed to be part the west village project. The building will be six floors, four floors containing 148 apartments over two floors of parking and 2300 sq. ft. of commercial. The building is also going to bridge Delta Street (it shows Delta Street going through it in the rendering).

300Michigan.jpg
  • edited June 2013
    Yep, Jared posted this (and a link to the rendering) on May 24th.

BTW, I'm looking at a Notice of Public Hearing and local developer Lingg Brewer is looking to construct a 4-story, eight-unit apartment building (with ground floor commercial space) across from the Habitrail parking garage. This seems to have kind of slipped under the radar unless I'm having a brainfart. Looking at property records, this is a small 1912 house, currently, and it looks like Brewer has owned in since 1979.

Looks like downtown is continuing its march northeast. This is a rather quiet corner that has always been kind of out-of-place given what's on it and around it.