General East Lansing Development

Comments

• That QD really does suck, it probably shouldn't have been in that building to begin with. Anyone else notice the Howard Johnson on Trowbridge is closed down also?

Regarding EL construction: All the four floor buildings along the southern edge of 1855 place are topped out and nearing completion, one of the townhouse buildings is topped out and work is beginning on at least one other, site work has started for the main buildings fronting Harrison and the parking ramp opened a week or two ago. The Breslin Center additions are also coming along, there's a couple spots where they've already erected steel for expanded concourses and it looks like the foundation for the Hall of History is well underway. I also noticed that they're back working on the Red Cedar Flats at Northwind & Grand River, looks like just site/utility work right now.
  • I am very glad to hear that the fence may have been put up for insurance and safety reasons. I know the center has been there a long time, and has always been a peaceful and good neighbor. The current political discourse got me thinking when I saw the fence. There are so many reasons to love Lansing, and our diversity and neighborly attitude are two of the best.
  • They had the parking garage and sidewalk back toward the MSU Student Family Housing construction open today, I noticed.

Ch-Cxw3W0AEiRRh.jpg:large
  • That site has gone up so fast, I noticed cars parked in the ramp as well. I thought maybe they are the workers cars. Isn't that the ramp was for students who will live in the new housing, maybe the university is already having others park there. In any case we can sure put up a parking ramp around here. I wonder if East Lansing has more than Lansing? Who is parking out there at MSU anyway? Do students get a parking space included these days? I am hoping that the new BRT system may help the employees in the area become less dependent on the auto culture and maybe East Lansing and MSU could build something other than parking ramps.
  • Nothing on this site will ever live up to how amazing University Village was - in terms of layout, scale, atmosphere. I have so many great memories from those apartments and grounds....

I always hoped the old state police buildings would be preserved/repurposed - they'd obviously be much better than the parking ramp that's replacing them. I don't completely understand the layout of the new development, but I do like that it's packing a lot in. I think the building on Harrison will turn out nicely too. And yeah, that parking ramp beats the hell out of the gigantic surface parking lot that was there.

Anyone have photos of the medical building on Saginaw? That must be coming along now??
  • I agree most anything is better than a blacktop surface lot. I was just kind of noting that a lot of the campus and East Lansing are dedicated to parking. Some structures look better than others, but parts of say, Albert Street are kind of unpleasant because of the towering parking ramps. I have no solution to this problem other than taking CATA to East Lansing.
  • First post here love the forum!

Not sure if this has been discussed before, but does anyone think the surface lots in downtown EL across the street from Harper's and right behind the Peanut Barrel will ever be torn down? The two locations are prime locations for major downtown developments. Obviously more parking would have to come from somewhere. Just a thought a buddy and myself were floating around a couple days ago.
  • edited May 2016
    Welcome to the forum! The city put out an RFP for that lot in 2007 to get a highrise built there with parking on the first floor. Here's a link to the comments on this site about it, http://develop.metrolansing.com/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=19&page=5#Item_3

Here's a link to that RFP, https://msu.edu/~weinjare/urban/lot1_rfp.pdf

It's definitely a prime location, and is currently heavily underused.
  • edited May 2016
    Welcome, that lot is a great location and I hope that they make sure a quality development or developments go there. This made me think of conceptual rendering I found and saved awhile ago labeled "EL condos." When I saved it I was thinking that it may be a proposal for lot 1 but looking at it now I can't tell what it might be, maybe an early City Center 2 proposal?

EL%20condos.gif
  • Got a couple things for ya:

1. The Pancheros in downtown EL has closed?! My life is over.

2. It looks like the renovations at First National Bank of America on Saginaw might be more extensive that I thought. Took the below picture inside the bank today. I see what appears to be a restaurant called "The Ledge", whether it would just be for employees I don't know. And the bottom left picture, which you probably can't read, says "Red Door Apartments". So far as I know right now that building is just commercial.

CiYKUWDUYAAmYvS.jpg